• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KruSuPhy

Question About The Structure Of My Game

This topic is 728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all, i'm building an android game currently. I know the method of tiling a map, drawing it, drawing the player, etc. all separately, but I'm having trouble figuring out where to put it all together. I mean obviously I have my draw method within the main class, but do I just draw everything at once there? and how do I go about doing that? should I just have a draw method in every drawable class and call it within my main draw method? or is there a different technique?

Advertisement

Here is the cookie cutter answer:

It all depends on your goal and what the final product is going to provide. You could use design principle A through Z and compare the differences to see what fits best for your situation. Their are just far too many variables involved for a straight forward answer when it comes to game architecture. Are you building an engine underneath the hood to power the game or are the sub-routines a part of the presentation layer? blah blah blah

Here's my answers:

Just make it work. You are going to run into walls that you unknowingly created 1000 lines of code ago, but that is the process of learning. It doesn't matter how many books you read of theories you study. Just do it. When you encounter an issue, fix it. Eventually when you do that enough, you will start to see how to prevent problems in the first place.

Just go for it IMO and the process will unravel itself naturally.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!