• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
arjansingh00

DX12 Good Directx Books

This topic is 797 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I picked up Frank Luna's DirectX 12 book a month ago but to be honest I am finding graphics programming hard as hell. I covered everything upto the Drawing part but the book skips over a lot of the code after a while leaving me clueless on how to even initialize directx. I did look at the code samples provided but he uses his own framework which can make things complicated and hard to understand. I CAN'T EVEN ENABLE 4X MSAA without running into an error. I was expecting it to walk you through making your own engine step by step making yourself code but instead it just covers a little code and hands you all the code in the form of samples. Some of the topics like Shadow Mapping are very well explained but when it comes to implementation he does it all through his framework which confuses the hell out of me and makes it hard to implement myself. Could someone recommend any other books to try or maybe graphics programming isn't for me... 

Advertisement

Thanks for the reply, I think I will start learning how to use DirectX 11 first now. I actually have read a lot of the posts on https://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/ in particular my favorite is the depth of field one. I used to look at a lot of siggraph and GDC presentations on a lot of techniques (one of the top of my head is physically based rendering by DICE) just to pass the time. I actually did try to use a similar approach with my engine (as I was torturing myself to make) which seems to be the right way of doing it. I will check out all of those books online right now. 

My share;
- pick up a copy of Luna's d3d11 book, it's likely to be better doable for you then the d3d12 one (no offense, same goes for me)
- for some good, and even more important, practical HLSL effects, I suggest the HLSL cookbook (also d3d11)

I borrowed the d3d11 book from a friend but other than the very well explained topics and explanations of (for example shadow mapping) implementation was a pain for me as a beginner.  Practical Rendering and Computation with Direct3D 11 seems to be the right book for me because based on the previews of the book it goes over everything I had a hard time with in Luna's book. 

- for some good, and even more important, practical HLSL effects, I suggest the HLSL cookbook (also d3d11)

Have they released a new version with better editing?  I tried reading through it, and there's some very good technical content, but damn, I have to wonder if a proofreader got anywhere near it before they sent it to the printing presses, based on my copy.

A quick, free ebook is the SyncFusion Direct3D Succinctly.  It's a little quick and dirty, but may help getting familiar before tackling a more in-depth book like Luna's or Practical Rendering and Computation with Direct3D.  One thing that hasn't really aged well with Luna's book is that he uses the Effects framework, which isn't really maintained any more and has fallen out of vogue (as far as I can tell), instead of using shaders directly.

Edited by ericrrichards22

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!