Which Is Better For A 2D Game: Game Maker Or Unity 2D

Started by
7 comments, last by thejelmega 7 years, 9 months ago

I would like to make a roquelike game, I've tried programming an engine myself, but I would prefer an engine.

I've looked at both Game Maker: Studio and Unity 2d and to be honest, I'm not sure which would be better.

Does anyone have experience with them or know which on would be the best?

Advertisement

I only have experience with unity2d.

Unity2d uses C# or java-script to write scripts that plug into the unity engine. C# is very approachable with time, practice and patience, and the unity editor is a joy to use, with lots of support online for both java scripting and c# scripting and EXCELLENT documentation!

I am not sure what type of scripting Game maker uses...

Well, I've tried out game maker already and it uses it's own language, called GML, which they say is based on C.

C# would be that hard for me, because I already know c++, so I'll probably just need to learn the differences between those 2.

EDIT: accidentally typed c# instead of c++, if you wonder where the comment below comes from

if you already know C# I would go with unity.

I've looked on the internet some more and I think I'll go with game maker studio for now and if I wan't it would be that 'hard' to port it to unity if I would want to.

EDIT: (for now)

Based on what information did you end up choosing game maker over unity?

shaken, not stirred

Well, It seems that Gamemaker is quite a bit easier, because of it's more simplistic interface, like the creaton of sprites.

But I can't yet say it for sure, so after putting some thought it, I'm gonna try unity.

Also It's a bit annoying to do things now, because it is like a sauna in my room.

Edit: Well, already discovered my first problem with unity, if I want to drag an image into my project, I won't work.

Edit 2: I've started to try out unity and one feature I really like, which Gamemaker has is the ability to change values without having to edit the code and thinking of it, I'll have to use unity next year for school, so I think I'll pick Unity, unlike I said in my previous post.

you have some interesting thoughts in this thread. One thing I would like to point out if you write your scripts correctly in Unity3D then they can also be changed without having to jump into code. I know you want to do 2D but maybe check out some of the 3D tutorials like this space shooter tutorial:

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/space-shooter-tutorial

As for dragging and dropping files in Unity you could instead copy files from one folder to your unity folders. Getting art assets into Unity is fairly easy compared to some game engines I have used.

you might also want to check out the asset store in Unity. This is usually a good place to start when your looking to add artwork to your game.

Anyways keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for the tips, I'll surely look at that tutorial, now the only thing I still need to figure out is how to make sprites.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement