• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
widmowyfox

Directx And Physx/apex Rendering

This topic is 786 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to implement some physics to my programs. Physx framework is quite simple and as i understand:

-I create physical scene which is updated every 1/60 second

-I only grab the position, rotation etc and render objects in normal (directx) way

But I totally don't understand apex framework. Ok, I have apex scene but what is all these rendering interfaces? Is apex force to render objects with this really complicated way? Why I cant just get updated vertex and indices buffer every frame and render it normally? How is this apex destruction work-Are all of destructible object pieces are stored in 1 vertex buffer? Are started vertices and indices is provided by directx or these apb fracturing files? All of my questions refer to rendering process. And yes, I study documentation whole week, still dont understand. I cant sleep because of it :(

Apex framework :

http://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/content/gameworkslibrary/physx/apexsdk/APEX_Framework/APEX_PG_Framework_Interfaces.html#buffered-api

Apex destruction module:

http://docs.nvidia.com/gameworks/content/gameworkslibrary/physx/apexsdk/APEX_Destruction/Index.html

Edited by widmowyfox

Advertisement

Apex is not a physics framework per se..Apex is a simulation framework that utilizes PhysX for its physics simulation. Apex is more meant to be a tool for artist ( once its integrated into your application ) as it consumes authorable objects created by some form of DCC application. If you don't have PhysX up and running in your application I would advise against even looking at Apex as using Apex in your application is going to be siginificantly more involved than PhysX.

Is apex force to render objects with this really complicated way?

Apex does NOT do any rendering. You have to implement your own renderer as the framework makes no assumption about how its being used.

Why I cant just get updated vertex and indices buffer every frame and render it normally?

You have to implement all the required interfaces to get access to the vertex and transform data.

How is this apex destruction work-Are all of destructible object pieces are stored in 1 vertex buffer?

Depends on how the destructible was authored. I could be one or multiple vertex buffer. However, you application is free to use a single vertex buffer and keep track of the offset.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!