Menus are fun to make?

Started by
8 comments, last by Necrosis 22 years, 4 months ago
I recently completed my tetris clone, and had a real blast coding and making it work. I left off my menu (title screen, credits, options, etc) till I was done with the game, and I noticed that programming the menu was the most fun part of the entire project! Is this normal? Does this make sense? I had fun making the game, but having more fun making the game''s menu... is this some sign? Has anyone else experienced this? LOL, I dont know why this is bugging me so much Btw, if anyone wants to try the game out, I put it on my site: http://liquid2k.com/scarce for download. I plan on putting it on the GD Showcase after I have a few close friends test it. By the light of the Moon, Sailor Moon of Borg will assimilate you!!! All your base are belong to us!
Advertisement
Programming the GUI and stuff is a lot of fun for me too, so you aren''t the only one .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
You arent the only one, I had one making the menu system in my engine ^_^

It started out as a purely text based menu with only keyboard support, then I expanded it to have graphics and uses the mouse. Menu options such as sliders, boolean options, menu items that run functions, submenus.. it was hella fun to code
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
You are clearly insane. Please turn yourself in to the nearest psychiatric ward.

Seriously, though, that''s rather interesting. I never found menu coding that enjoyable. Oh well ... to each his own, I guess
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
mmm insanity
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
yeah, love those menus! makes you feel alive! whoohooo!!!!!! (maybe that''s a little too far, but I know what you mean)
quote:Original post by Martee
I never found menu coding that enjoyable.

Well, for me at least, it isn''t menus exactly, just doing the entire GUI''s structure is pretty entertaining . I personally like writing data structures a lot, and a GUI is just a really big one .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Perhaps I have become disconcerted from my time spent doing GUIs in Java and VB . I''m only getting into the real Win32 C/C++ GUI stuff now, so maybe my opinion will change ... but as it stands, I prefer working on back-end code.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
no, that stuff is horrible. Making your own menu system is fun.
I hate making GUIs, it''s the worst part of the game. I always try to push it as far as possible at the end of the deadline, but then I realise that the entire game control is commandline and ini file based, and players have the tendency to find this rather uncool

So I have to come up with a GUI system in two weeks, the pure horror. It''s one of those tasks I really like to delegate to some stupid employee I don''t like

- AH

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement