3D Car Models

Started by
2 comments, last by Kylotan 7 years, 8 months ago

hey, does anyone need some really good 3d car models for their games?

you can find it here http://rainstyle.pro/shop/

Advertisement

I've always wondered about those kind real world car models. You should be permitted by the company that holds that car to sell those models? Additionally when you use them, again you should have permission, as far as I know.

@johnburton - I moved your post to "Your annoucements". See:
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/666484-is-your-topic-really-about-game-design-not-everything-is-game-design/

I've always wondered about those kind real world car models. You should be permitted by the company that holds that car to sell those models? Additionally when you use them, again you should have permission, as far as I know.

It's a grey area.
Technically, featuring a real-world product (used in it's intended manner) within a work of fiction should be completely fine -- it's common practice within books to create believable/relatable settings, and has been challenged and upheld.
But on TV, non-product-placement brands are always blurred out -- partly because it protects the product placement revenue stream, and partly as a defense against lawsuits from brands that don't want to be associated with you. If it's arguable that you're creating an impression of an association between your TV show and their brand, and such an association is damaging to their brand, then it's arguable that you owe them a lot of money.

In games, the big fight over this idea was between EA and arms manufacturers -- EA decided to use guns/tanks/helicopters without paying licensing fees, was sued for it, and unfortunately for us, they settled the case out of court rather than proceeding to trial and setting a precedent. This leaves us in the situation where, yes, if you use a real-world product in your game, you might get sued for it, and there's no precedent to predict the outcome.

In games, the big fight over this idea was between EA and arms manufacturers -- EA decided to use guns/tanks/helicopters without paying licensing fees, was sued for it, and unfortunately for us, they settled the case out of court rather than proceeding to trial and setting a precedent. This leaves us in the situation where, yes, if you use a real-world product in your game, you might get sued for it, and there's no precedent to predict the outcome.

To be fair, if you're going to settle with anyone, heavily-armed people are probably near the top of the list. ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement