Horizon:zero Dawn Cloud System

Started by
78 comments, last by IlPresidente 5 years, 8 months ago

Experimenting some with space-based cloud rendering gives some pretty good results:

596c1664cef85_Diannamy3_003.thumb.png.8ef433554793247cfaca22383d75c583.png

Needless to say, this doesn’t run very fast (~30ms fullscreen) but I was surprised how far I could get with nothing but procedural noises.

Advertisement
On 7/15/2017 at 6:14 AM, taylorswift said:

Removing henyey greenstein takes away the bright fringes but brightens the clouds when viewed from the sun since it’s the source of the anisotropic shading in the clouds. Ambient lighting doesn’t do much except brighten the whole scene.

We use a triple henyey-greenstein phase function. I'll add an implementation to our slides. They should go online in 2.5 weeks or so. The talk is 2 weeks from yesterday! I better get back to making the slides. ?

On 7/17/2017 at 3:46 AM, taylorswift said:

Experimenting some with space-based cloud rendering gives some pretty good results:

596c1664cef85_Diannamy3_003.thumb.png.8ef433554793247cfaca22383d75c583.png

Needless to say, this doesn’t run very fast (~30ms fullscreen) but I was surprised how far I could get with nothing but procedural noises.

Awesome. With enough noise sources and instructions you should be able to model everything. That is our goal in the long run at least. As processing power increases, the amount you can purchase with 2ms increases as well.

On 7/18/2017 at 6:36 AM, VONSCHNEIDZ said:

We use a triple henyey-greenstein phase function. I'll add an implementation to our slides. They should go online in 2.5 weeks or so. The talk is 2 weeks from yesterday! I better get back to making the slides. ?

Awesome. With enough noise sources and instructions you should be able to model everything. That is our goal in the long run at least. As processing power increases, the amount you can purchase with 2ms increases as well.

Will the talk be recorded? would be awesome for non attendees !

And example implementation would be fantastic, I've played through Horizon twice and loved the clouds, amazing!.

On 7/18/2017 at 1:36 AM, VONSCHNEIDZ said:

I’m still struggling with haze and cirrus clouds as when viewing from space, the lack of the thin wispy clouds is very obvious. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to produce good procedural cirrus clouds.

On 8/4/2016 at 10:40 AM, ChenA said:

Whups, typo there

base_cloud = base_cloud - high_freq_noise*(1.0-base_cloud);

and

coverage = 1.0-coverage*height_fade; //from 1 where the fadeout starts to 0 where it ends

I invert the coverage because want remaining "vapor bubbles" as the cloud source

height_fade is calculate from weather type?

We use a 2d texture lookup for Cirrus clouds but plug the density samples into our lighting model. Currently we tiled some monochrome images of actual Cirrus clouds. This will be fully procedural in the future though. 

On 8/4/2016 at 10:40 AM, ChenA said:

Whups, typo there

base_cloud = base_cloud - high_freq_noise*(1.0-base_cloud);

and

coverage = 1.0-coverage*height_fade; //from 1 where the fadeout starts to 0 where it ends

I invert the coverage because want remaining "vapor bubbles" as the cloud source

height_fade is calculate from weather type?

We use a 2d texture lookup for Cirrus clouds but plug the density samples into our lighting model. Currently we tiled some monochrome images of actual Cirrus clouds. This will be fully procedural in the future though. 

On 2017/7/27 at 2:22 PM, VONSCHNEIDZ said:

Hi, I'm working on the volumatric cloud and I get some questions: the range of my perlin-noise is 0-1, and the range of my worley-noise is also 0-1, so the value of perlin-noise may be smaller than the worley-noise, and the final value of remap by using the worley-noise as the oldmin may be negative, and the perlin-worley noise I generate is not like the one in slide or GPU Pro 7, but the perilin-noise and the worley-noise looks good, do you know what do I do wrong? Thanks very much!!

Game Developer && Graphics Programmer

On 9/30/2017 at 1:38 PM, carbonsunsu said:

Hi, I'm working on the volumatric cloud and I get some questions: the range of my perlin-noise is 0-1, and the range of my worley-noise is also 0-1, so the value of perlin-noise may be smaller than the worley-noise, and the final value of remap by using the worley-noise as the oldmin may be negative, and the perlin-worley noise I generate is not like the one in slide or GPU Pro 7, but the perilin-noise and the worley-noise looks good, do you know what do I do wrong? Thanks very much!!

Hello,  its not immediately clear what numbers you are dealing with but based on the ranges, you should be sure to clamp the result.

Hi,

It's been a while since anybody posted here but I thought I would share the fact that I'm presenting more of our cloud work at Eurographics 2018 next Thursday in Delft, The Netherlands.  I don't know if any of you are or will be in the area, but it would be a good opportunity to meet and talk clouds. 

Best,

Andrew

On 13.4.2018 at 3:05 PM, VONSCHNEIDZ said:

Hi,

It's been a while since anybody posted here but I thought I would share the fact that I'm presenting more of our cloud work at Eurographics 2018 next Thursday in Delft, The Netherlands.  I don't know if any of you are or will be in the area, but it would be a good opportunity to meet and talk clouds. 

Best,

Andrew

Any chance on some new papers ? Would like to read about the improvements you made, sadly can't be there.

4 hours ago, Ryokeen said:

Any chance on some new papers ? Would like to read about the improvements you made, sadly can't be there.

This is a new presentation based on the work that we did for Horizon: Zero Dawn. So, it's up to date with the improvements for that project. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement