Directx 11 For Small Scale And Directx 12 For Large Scale.

Started by
14 comments, last by SeanMiddleditch 7 years, 8 months ago

So I recently read a few posts on DirectX 11 vs 12 and based on everything I've read, I've come to the conclusion that DirectX 11 is good for mostly all tasks and you should only use DirectX 12 to get more control over optimizations if you think you'll benefit from it, eg if your doing a large scale game.

What are your thoughts guys? Am I looking at this completely wrong? Should we all just use DirectX 12 and forget about 11?

Advertisement

There are plenty of large scale games made using Direct3D 11.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

DirectX11 is still good and state of the art.

Also for beginneres I would recommend D3D11 because ists much easier.

DirectX12 and Vulkan you should only use if you are an experienced graphics programmer how knows what he's doing.

I believe 80% of Hobby or Indie Game Projects won't ever come to a stage where they really benefit from the advantages of DX12 or Vulkan.

Even AAA Titels like Rise of the Tomb Raider don't get a real performance boost if you have a fairly modern CPU working.

The optimazations of these APIs take the most effect if your game is CPU limited because of the lower driver head.

I posted on this topic just the other day. But I think the decision of whether to use DX11 or DX12 is mostly a question of whether your user's computers can support DX12.

I mean, yes, DX12 is more difficult than DX11. DX11 is more difficult than DX10. DX10 is more difficult than DX9 and OpenGL. OpenGL is more difficult than MonoGame. MonoGame is more difficult than Unity. If you want easy: Unity. But DX11 is so difficult I wouldn't say it's really "easier" than DX12. Depending on where you're coming from knowledge wise, DX11 is an enormous learning curve. I say this never having written a DX12 program and only having compiled a Vulkan tutorial. But I think saying DX12 is more difficult than DX11 is like saying it's more difficult to walk to New York from LA than it is to walk from LA to Boston. By the time you've managed to walk to Boston, New York isn't that much further. You've already made it to Boston. If New York is where you really want to be then why not just keep going?

I think there's more opportunity to mess up in a really big way and have your game crash in DX12. (But then again you were working with unmanaged code and COM in DX11.) Multi tasking always scares people. So, it's definitely more difficult. But by the time you learn HLSL just so you can draw something to the screen, figured out how to deal with the Windows OS (at least so that you can get a process and control the window you are running in), and dealt with COM, "you've come a long ways baby" (and that doesn't even get into writing your own Python scripts to extract modeling data from Blender, writing your own modeling class, learning Win Sock for Internet game play, etc.). If you can handle that, I figure multi-tasking can't be that much more difficult.

From what I read, DX12 handles resources far better than DX11, but it means extra steps on your part to take responsibility for those resources. But that's pretty much the same difference as DX9 and DX10/11.

But as DX becomes more complicated, it's a shame it becomes more difficult to learn to do. Then again, I'm not sure DX has ever been easy. I tried for the better part of a decade to learn 3D programming in DX9 with no success to speak of. By the time I was actually ready, I ended up teaching myself DX11. And I found it reasonably easy. But that was only because I had over a decade of experience elsewhere. So, maybe it is good to learn in stepping stones.

Overall though, it seems to me that if you are going to learn DX12, you should probably use it for everything unless a more simple tool is called for. But if a more simple tool is called for DX11 is probably too much too. For example, I needed a tool to read my model files to examine the data in a human readable format so I wrote a C# program. I might prototype something in Unity or what I actually use is XNA for prototyping. Several things that I was worried about tackling directly in DX11 I prototyped in XNA first.

Again though, I've never written a single DX12 program. The closest I've come to it is program in DX11 and spending a Saturday compiling a Vulkan tutorial. I've also flipped through Frank Luna's DX12 book and found it to be remarkably similar to his DX11 book.

I would think that if you're going to do DX12, just do it and stick with it. At that point you've already dealt with the difficult part and you probably need the practice anyway even if it is a smaller project.

Another way of looking at it though is that most of your beginner projects probably would run just fine on DX9. I used XNA for years and it was built on top of DX9. Any time I ran into any type of performance issue it was because of the way I had coded it, not a real problem of exceeding it's limitations. So, you might learn DX11 before DX12 just because there's so much more information out there to help you learn DX11 and it's a pretty decent stepping stone to DX12.

@BBeck:

I don't really agree with you. The only thing: If you want it really simple take Unity or Unreal Engine.

DX11 hides a lot of work for you, which you need to take care of yourself in DX12 or Vulkan. If you are fresh to any Graphics API I believe DX11 or OpenGL are the far better choises instead of Vulkan/DX12. If you already know the other APIs and know where your bottlenecks are and why the are there, the new APIs will be the right choice. Otherwise if never touched an API like DX or OpenGL someone should stick with the much simpler and well documented Dx11 or OpenGL APIs until there's a fair understanding of how the graphics card and all the stuff is working.

If someone starts programming usally no one recommends to start with assembler to make a simple text based console game.

Regarding Hardware support: If you set the desired feature level all DX11 HW can run your DX12 Programms and you get still some of the advantages of DX12.

Titels like Rise of the Tomb Raider don't get a real performance boost if you have a fairly modern CPU working.
Yeah I kinda noticed that while playing, but it's anyway an unoptimized title. Your also kinda right, because if you've played the new star wars battlefront by DICE powered by the frostbite engine, that's on DX11 and is probably the most optimized title I've played. With the studios next title Battlefield 1 (which runs on either DX11 or DX12, whatever you choose), which in my opinion is the best looking game should compare the performance difference between the two API's and see if there is a good performance increase or not.

I mean, yes, DX12 is more difficult than DX11. DX11 is more difficult than DX10. DX10 is more difficult than DX9 and OpenGL.

IMHO, in rank of how easy to use they are, it goes: Dx11, Dx9, OpenGL, Dx12, Vulkan.

Dx10 isn't listed because there's no reason to ever use it - it's dead/replaced by Dx11 (you can use feature-level-10 via the Dx11 API).

OpenGL ranks low for me because there's so many different ways to achieve the same goal, and many of them are "slow paths" or have different behaviours across vendors. Testing is also a nightmare because OpenGL is really four different API's with a mostly-common interface: Intel, NVidia, AMD and Apple's implementation of it... and it's a requirement that you test for functionality and performance of every feature across all four implementations :(

So I recently read a few posts on DirectX 11 vs 12 and based on everything I've read, I've come to the conclusion that DirectX 11 is good for mostly all tasks and you should only use DirectX 12 to get more control over optimizations if you think you'll benefit from it, eg if your doing a large scale game.

If by "large scale" you mean, "the budget is large enough that you can afford to spend money on excessive optimization"... or you mean "supports Xbox One" :D

The API's used by different desktop/console platforms are:
XbOne - Dx11.x or Dx12.x
PS4 - GNM/GNMX
Windows 10 - Dx12 or Dx11 or Dx9 or OpenGL or Vulkan
Windows Vista/7/8 - Dx11 or Dx9 or OpenGL or Vulkan
Windows XP - Dx9 or OpenGL or Vulkan
Linux - OpenGL or Vulkan
Mac - OpenGL or Metal

So if you're making a game for Windows, Dx11 gets you Windows Vista/7/8/10, whereas Dx12 only gets you Windows 10... So it's not really a choice between one of the other at the moment -- if you support Dx12, you should also support Dx11 so that half of your customers who are still using Windows 7/8 can play your game!
If you're making a game for Xbox One, you can use Dx11.x or Dx12.x... but the Xbox One has a terribly slow CPU, so it would be quite important to optimize as much as possible (which means using Dx12).
So if you're making a game for Windows, Xbox One and PS4, then your engine would contain four (or, three and a bit) renderers: PS4 GNM, Xbox One Dx12, Windows Dx11 and perhaps Windows Dx12.

If you're making a game for the above three platforms plus Mac and Linux, then you'd add OpenGL as a fifth API (and perhaps Vulkan as a sixth, and Metal as a seveth!). Alternatively, you could use OpenGL on Windows instead of Dx11, but I personally wouldn't because of the testing/cross-vendor nightmare mentioned above...

Using Vulkan in place of Dx12 is a more justifiable choice in general -- but if you're supporting Xbox One, then you've already got Dx12 support, so you may as well use it on Windows too.

DX11 hides a lot of work for you, which you need to take care of yourself in DX12 or Vulkan. If you are fresh to any Graphics API I believe DX11 or OpenGL are the far better choises instead of Vulkan/DX12. If you already know the other APIs and know where your bottlenecks are and why the are there, the new APIs will be the right choice. Otherwise if never touched an API like DX or OpenGL someone should stick with the much simpler and well documented Dx11 or OpenGL APIs until there's a fair understanding of how the graphics card and all the stuff is working.

^^ This. Dx12/Vulkan require you to implement a lot of systems that the NVidia/AMD/Intel graphics driver implements for you in Dx11. If you're not comfortable writing a graphics driver, then some parts of Dx12 will be scary.

...which is a shame, because in many other respects, Dx12 is one of the simplest and easiest to use API's out there... it's just also simultaneously dangerous, and has parts that are very hard to use and understand... :D

But I think the decision of whether to use DX11 or DX12 is mostly a question of whether your user's computers can support DX12.

DX12 is not just a better DX11. It's something completely different. All things being equal other than API choice, a DX12 version of a renderer _will be slower_ than a DX11 version!

DX12's whole purpose is to give you (kinda) raw access to the hardware. All driver optimization is _removed_ for this purpose. The primary reason to use DX12 is if you have a reason to recode the driver's logic from scratch to squeeze out performance that you can't get with DX11.

There are a handful of new features exposed in DX12. Most of those have _also_ been exposed to DX11.3. The remaining feature of DX12 that you can't get at all in DX11 is the updated resource binding model, which again is most useful if you feel that you _need_ to work around the DX11 model.

Learn about DX12 and study it, certainly. Don't just use it blindly because it's newer. It's an alternative to DX11, _not_ a replacement for it.

Same goes for Vulkan/OpenGL, though Vulkan gets an extra edge on account of its entire API model because more DX-like while OpenGL uses the global state machine nonsense. But still, use OpenGL instead of Vulkan unless you know you need Vulkan.

Edit: softened tone a bit. Cranky morning, sorry.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Don't just use it blindly because it's newer. It's an alternative to DX11, _not_ a replacement for it.

Never really thought about it that way. Seeing that their haven't been many games using DirectX 12 yet, what kind've performance increases (or maybe decreases) will there be on a well coded & optimized DirectX 12 engine compared to a DirectX 11 engine? Is it really that beneficial?

Don't just use it blindly because it's newer. It's an alternative to DX11, _not_ a replacement for it.

Never really thought about it that way. Seeing that their haven't been many games using DirectX 12 yet, what kind've performance increases (or maybe decreases) will there be on a well coded & optimized DirectX 12 engine compared to a DirectX 11 engine? Is it really that beneficial?
If you do it right, you can really get a lot of performance out of dx12 compared to dx11. If you have 3dmark, try using the api comparison runs for dx11 and dx12.the run is as many draw calls per frame before fps drops below 30. On my hardware, ogl and dx11 got almost 50k draw calls. Dx12, no joke, got over 500k draw calls per frame.

I like what hodgman said, how its too bad dx12 is so scary, since it really is a small api with around 200 api calls total, with so much potential. The problem with dx12 and why its more difficult to use than dx11, is that its not just about knowing the api anymore, its all about architecture, and making your own assumptions about your application. This is where the huge potential for performance comes from in dx12, dx11 made a lot of assumptions and did almost everything for you, most prominently the memory management.

Just something to think about, you could basically make dx11 using dx12. Dx11 can almost be looked at as a wrapper for dx12

I think the name dx12 is a little misleading as others have said, its not really bringing anything new to the table, but rather giving you much more control over the graphics hardware

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement