• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
QQemka

A Handful Of Questions

This topic is 872 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. As a total beginner in graphics programming who started playing around with gpu 3 weeks ago (using d3d11) I stumbled upon many different problems. I would like to list them all here, explain what my concerns are :)

-should i go fpr LH RH or coordinate system? Most programs used for modeling use RH, yet the d3d tutorials use LH. The only difference is t he Z axis direction (which has some other consequences with uv,normals etc), isnt it best to stick to RH?

-how do i make light not go through objects? Is it all just about shadows?

-what data should mesh material have? Looking at different formats and the ammount of parametrs of material (im using .obj right now) im gettin really confused. And most imporant: should transparency be a property of one material or entire mesh?

-second, what should mesh have? So i've read about subsets, materials, that subsets may have multiple materials and all that mess. Should my implementation (for rendering) split the mesh into subsets and deal with multi materials, or should i make groups of vertices which are using the same material, or should i separate transparent and opaque subsets? (The proper transparency rendering is something i totally cant wrap my head around)

-transparency. Should it be property of whole mesh, of a single material, or any of these, and the user decides during runtime what to render as transparent and what as opaque? Is assumption that every mesh will be opaque right?

I am kinda stuck because of these problems, especially "what data should mesh and material have". I've changed the implementations several times and i cant find the proper representation.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
-LH/RH doesn't matter. Pick one.
-Yes, a lighting solution needs shadows to stop this.
-IMHO, a material should specify the shader file to use, and then whatever material parameters/textures are defined by that shader. Different shaders require different textures and different material properties.
-It's common to have the mesh & sub-mesh breakdown, where sub-meshes are groups of triangles paired with a material, and a mesh is a collection of sub-meshes.
-IMHO Transparency is a material and/or shader designation. Your renderer needs to be able to sort transparent sub-meshes separately from opaque sub-meshes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!