• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hawkblood

DX11 Dx11 Msaa Question

This topic is 852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm writing a game and want to use anti-aliasing. I have it working on one of my computers, but when I try to use it on my other one, it errors out on the swap chain creation. I'm using NVidia cards on both machines (not the same models). I think the problem is that my laptop (the one it doesn't work on) uses FXAA-- whatever that is.....

I ran a process to find out AA compatibility and it shows to be compatible with 2 samples and 2 quality. The weird thing is that when I disable MSAA on my laptop the program appears to be using it anyway.

What's up with that? Can anyone give me a good explanation of why that would happen?

Advertisement

FXAA is a software approach, while MSAA is a hardware approach, so it would only be using FXAA if the software implements it.  MSAA, on the other hand (since it's a hardware approach), might be getting enabled automatically by the driver.  That would be why you see it even when disabling it in software.  You'd have to check the driver settings and see if it's getting overridden.

As for the issue, have you enabled any debugging in D3D?  Does it say anything helpful when failing to create the swap chain in the output window?

I ran a loop of swapchain creations with each instance of MSAA that gave me anything >0... Each one failed to create. I have run games on this laptop and they give the option to use MSAA or some other AA (older types) and they run fine. I wonder if it's a DX11 thing.....

It works fine on my desktop. Would the format be a problem on one computer but not another? I'm at work right now so I can't get the exact format for you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!