• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SC3PTR3

Not Sure Where To Start

This topic is 717 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm an average joe who's spent many years on Role playing games. I am always coming up with ideas for stories, powers/abilities and so forth for video games. I'm not sure where I could begin on getting my foot in the door for this type of video game design.Can anyone help me out?

Advertisement

I'm not sure where I could begin on getting my foot in the door for this type of video game design.

I see a few ways to interpret the question.

If you're asking about the role generally, you might find this a useful starting point.

If you're asking about it as a day job, start with reading these.

If you're asking abut building your specific game idea, read those same items in the link above with particular emphasis on numbers 1, 11, 13, 14, 31, then read the others.

Quite simply, ideas are the easiest part of the equation.  Just start learning something and maybe some day you will complete something.  That's where to start.

Can you be more precise about your background (previous knowledge or experience) beyond playing the kind of games you want to make?

Do you have any prior coding knowledge (not necessarily game or graphics related)? Or experience with 2d or 3d art?

Reading the forum FAQ and the rest of the stickies would be a good place to start (basically go to Tom Sloper's website and take the time to go through everything.)

You aren't the first person to struggle with where to start. If you have more specific questions, feel free to come back and ask, we might all learn something new.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!