"the Art Of Battle" A New Battle Theme By Me.

Started by
2 comments, last by nsmadsen 7 years, 8 months ago

Hey, YoungProdigy here. Just finished the "The Art of Battle".

You can listen to it here:

https://soundcloud.com/youngprodigymusic/young-prodigy-the-art-of-battle

Feedback is welcome as always.

Advertisement

I'd say work on your mixing, the flutes are a bit louder than everything in my opinion.

There are some areas of the song where you have a major V playing and you aren't in harmonic minor, which is probably something that should be fixed, unless you did it on purpose. If you are unsure of what I'm referring to I can specify.

Good stuff though, I like the melodies. It really gives a tense feel.

Composer of music for a number of video games, including Deadpour: Tactics and Tuneria, a music-centered RPG. Author of Chaotrope songs on RockBand Network.

Stay up to date with my new music at https://soundcloud.com/chaotrope.

Portfolio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bNwwexPnd0

I'd say work on your mixing, the flutes are a bit louder than everything in my opinion.

There are some areas of the song where you have a major V playing and you aren't in harmonic minor, which is probably something that should be fixed, unless you did it on purpose. If you are unsure of what I'm referring to I can specify.

I don't know if I agree. If the flutes were any softer, I think they would barely audible.

Perhaps you are correct about the major V thing. If you hadn't told me that I wouldn't even notice.

I don't know if I agree. If the flutes were any softer, I think they would barely audible.

Perhaps you are correct about the major V thing. If you hadn't told me that I wouldn't even notice.

The flutes are too bright compared to the rest of the orchestration which gives them the impression of being right in front of the listener while the rest of the ensemble is farther back. Not necessarily a volume setting issue (as in moving a fader) as it is more an EQ thing. Take out some of the brightness of the flutes and it will allow them to sit into the mix a bit better.

Same rule applies to the string melody at 13 seconds in as well. I get that this your melody line and you want it to be predominant but this feels out of balance to my ears. There's a lot more highs than lows in your mix, overall, which creates a lopsided, top-heavy mix. As a result this reduces the amount of weight and impact your piece has. Also consider some nice timpani and bass drum hits to help emphasize the trumpet staccato responses at around 47. This piece is called The Art of Battle so having a bit more contrast and drama could really help the music live up to the title.

Some good ideas - they just need a bit more production and love!

Thanks,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement