Looking For New Direction

Started by
29 comments, last by Tom Sloper 7 years, 8 months ago

Hey Orymus3.

Thank you for open advise!

I am sure in all your wrote you are right for 99.9%.

And of course I will consider to make adjustments your are speaking about.

I will read you article and hope learn much.

I also understand you critical attitude to the fellow who climbed from nowhere.

This is normal. I was reacting in the same way almost for sure.

But what if my story not so ordinary as millions other stories you are speaking about?

Maybe it is special enough?

And what if I will be lucky to meet the right guy with different then me and you altitude?

Who will think, that 4 years which I spent to write the story and 1,5 years to prepare all worth 1 hour of his time?

Who will sign NDA and read the game story I will send to him?

If there is a 0.1% of it I want to take a time before continue and start all you mentioned alone.

Advertisement

Because if there is a strong team with experience and abilities to make game we have, (together with interesting story) all reasons to ask for money publishers or investors.

I understand. You need to understand that if you get a developer interested in doing your project, but your
IP hasn't yet made a splash in the marketplace, having a developer attached to the project doesn't really
help your pitch to a publisher. If you get a publisher interested in licensing your project, they may prefer
to find their own developer rather than use the one you choose beforehand.

Thank you, Tom.

But how I can made a splash? How I can convince people that my story is a good IP?

Do you think I need to public part of it?

Sure I am ready to send it to people which will sign my NDA.

But how I can made a splash? How I can convince people that my story is a good IP?

That is the right question.

Figuring out a good answer to that is how you convince people to invest.

In general, you need numbers for comparable products, and you need to be able to explain to publishers/investors not just how they will make money on your product, but how and why they will make more money on your product than they would make on other products.

Basically, show them how yours is a better investment than putting the money into Apple stock or Nintendo stock or into some startup businesses. If you can't show them that then they won't invest.

That is the right question.

Figuring out a good answer to that is how you convince people to invest.

In general, you need numbers for comparable products, and you need to be able to explain to publishers/investors not just how they will make money on your product, but how and why they will make more money on your product than they would make on other products.

Basically, show them how yours is a better investment than putting the money into Apple stock or Nintendo stock or into some startup businesses. If you can't show them that then they won't invest.

Sounds logical. But what practically I can do? How I am alone can make a product of AAA quality?

Even if I was every skills I need to make AAA consent and prototype it how much time it was take?

Was see, I can do it was doing it.

I am not concept artist, I am not programmer, don't know how to make AI or game play balance, I have no idea how much money I need for the project...

So I am returning to the same idea. I need partners.

... what practically I can do? How I am alone can make a product of AAA quality?

There are no magic steps we can give you. How did J.K. Rowling become a multimillionaire based on her
original IP? Read her life story and see how long she worked at it, typing away in a little room while
raising a family, all the rejections and perseverance.

You can try pitching your concept to developers as you suggested above - there's no harm in trying. All
I was saying is that if you somehow (I can't tell you how) make your trilogy popular elsewhere, game
publishers and investors will come pounding on your door begging to make your game.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

... what practically I can do? How I am alone can make a product of AAA quality?

There are no magic steps we can give you. How did J.K. Rowling become a multimillionaire based on her
original IP? Read her life story and see how long she worked at it, typing away in a little room while
raising a family, all the rejections and perseverance.

You can try pitching your concept to developers as you suggested above - there's no harm in trying. All
I was saying is that if you somehow (I can't tell you how) make your trilogy popular elsewhere, game
publishers and investors will come pounding on your door begging to make your game.

Hm... I don't, want to say that will not like to be multimillionaire. Maybe I will like.

But it is a big question if I want to make games then.

Besides of all, I don't remember one good game based on Harry Potter history.

And at the end I am sure, if some god will give me choice: He gives me multimillionaire dollars or good studio will agree to make game with me tomorrow. I was choosing the second. :)

P.S. My books I wrote mostly in trains when was going to the work and was return back home. ;)

Hm... I don't, want to say that will not like to be multimillionaire. Maybe I will like.
But it is a big question if I want to make games then.
Besides of all, I don't remember one good game based on Harry Potter history.
And at the end I am sure, if some god will give me choice: He gives me multimillionaire dollars or good studio will agree to make game with me tomorrow. I was choosing the second

You're intentionally ignoring my point. I didn't say your ultimate goal is to become as rich and famous as J.K. Rowling. I said your books need to become as popular as the Harry Potter books, in order to get publishers wildly interested in making your game for you. You asked how to get publishers interested, and I was answering that question.

Disparaging the Harry Potter games also intentionally ignores the point. You want to get your books made into games. Now you want those games to be worlds better than the Harry Potter games. First step: get your trilogy wildly successful.

P.S. My books I wrote mostly in trains when was going to the work and was return back home. ;)

Okay, step one accomplished: laboring in obscurity. Now take the J.K. Rowling life story a step further, and get published.

Thank you Tom.

Returning to the logical path, do you know occasionally English or American Publisher Houses I can send my book?

do you know occasionally English or American Publisher Houses I can send my book?

No, I don't. This is a video game forum, not a book publishing forum. Why don't you just Google book publishers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement