• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tanay Karnik

Projects For Learning Android Game Development With Android Studio

This topic is 807 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello!

So, recently I just shifted my attention towards the android platform and have started learning it.

I decided to use Android Studio and so went through some part of the official training at https://developer.android.com/training/index.html

I now have a basic idea of how android development works, but when I got a bit further in the training, I found that I am not getting any examples to work upon, as I continue. So, I thought that the better way would be to work on projects, increasing the level of difficulty ( level of Android APIs involved? ) as I move ahead. In this way, I can refer to the relevant topics in the documentation myself, and even get the experience of developing on android.

Hence, can any of you give me a short ordered project list or some abstract path to follow? So that I can first learn the fundamental parts of android app development in general and then focus upon android game development mainly.

I took a look at http://1000projects.org/projects/android-projects/ but found out that it doesn't provide any order to follow. I think, I'll use this once I'm off the beginner stage and just want to practice.

My Background: I know how to program in Java, C, C++, etc. and have made some games in C++/SDL, HTML5.

Advertisement

If I were you I would focus on learning how to implement really common things: IAP, Facebook app intent ( not the web version ), Sounds via their native library, using other libraries like a physics or 3D one

Well, I decided to create a single app, step by step, which would include most of the important APIs of android.

So, I would get started in android development well.

It's a weather app called Sunshine, BTW, following the tutorial at https://www.udacity.com/course/ud853

@WhiteKnight Thanks! I would focus on common things like those afterwards so that I get better. I didn't understand what IAP meant, but.

Moving to the Mobiles forum as this seems to be about Android development.

I found that I am not getting any examples to work upon, as I continue.

What exactly do you mean by this?  Are you struggling to understand the meaning of the code syntax or grammar? Are you struggling with the names of the functions and what they do? Are you struggling with the patterns they follow?

Learning takes place precept by precept, what level are you understanding the code, what level are you struggling with the code?

Moving to the Mobiles forum as this seems to be about Android development.

I found that I am not getting any examples to work upon, as I continue.

What exactly do you mean by this?  Are you struggling to understand the meaning of the code syntax or grammar? Are you struggling with the names of the functions and what they do? Are you struggling with the patterns they follow?

Learning takes place precept by precept, what level are you understanding the code, what level are you struggling with the code?

I meant that I wasn't getting any good ideas of projects to work on and practise the concepts which I learned. (Projects would make me get used to it, right?)

In short, I wanted to get a project idea which would be good for starters and would include things most of the fundamentals.

Anyways, now I've figured the project out (as stated in my previous post).

Well, I decided to create a single app, step by step, which would include most of the important APIs of android.

So, I would get started in android development well.

It's a weather app called Sunshine, BTW, following the tutorial at https://www.udacity.com/course/ud853

@WhiteKnight Thanks! I would focus on common things like those afterwards so that I get better. I didn't understand what IAP meant, but.

IAP stands for In App Purchases, its the intent to buy chain. This is key to making money with games :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!