Good Programming Books Without Computer Access

Started by
0 comments, last by Nanoha 7 years, 8 months ago
I'm in an awkward transitory period where I've neither access to stable internet not access to my regular PC; all I've got is this trusty kindle fire. In that light, I'm looking for something light on exercises and code follow-alongs. On the other hand, I also want something mildly practical (I.e. not like "From Mathematics to Generic Programming", which is a dense blob of set theory). For reference, I'm a CS graduate with a few years professional experience, and I've also read most of the famous software engineering books like the pragmatic programmer and code complete. I'm okay with just about any domain, as long as I don't need to write code. Any thoughts?
Advertisement

I can't say this is a recommendation BUT I'm currently reading (on and off) C++ Concurrency in Action by Anthony Williams. It's certainly filling in a lot of what I don't know about multi-threading and exposing me to a few other features in the STL that I've not used before. Although I do have a multi-threaded app that I've implemented a few of the things I've learned in I don't feel that I needed to code anything at all to get use out of this book.

I'll also add that the publisher has a thing where if you buy a REAL book you also get the ebook version for free which is great. I love having a real book but I'm becoming a fan of ebooks now so good to have both.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement