• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Prevent Reassignment Of Handle

This topic is 627 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have registered a type in angelscript with a property that is a handle to an object:

RegisterObjectProperty("SomeType", "Object@ obj", 0);

That object's memory is handled by the application.

I would like to prevent script writers from assigning another object to that handle, without making the object constant. For example:

SomeType@ a = ...;

SomeType@ b = ...;

a.obj.value = 4; // Script can edit obj

a.obj = b.obj; // I want this to fail

It needs to be a handle, because SomeType.obj may refer to another SomeType's obj. I just don't want the script to be able to change which object it refers to. Is there a way I can do this?

Advertisement

Well one thought comes to mind. In C/C++ you can define an objects assignment operator to be private. In angel script the syntax I pulled from their docs looks something like this:

obj@ opAssign(const obj &in other)
  {
    // Do the proper assignment
    // Return a handle to self, so that multiple assignments can be chained
    return this;
  }

So you could try something like this: (Treat this as psuedocode as I am not sure if the syntax is correct)

class myObj
  {
    private myObj opAssign(const obj &in other) { return this; } 
  }

I'm guessing for the most part here as to the functionality of the code I have just given you. Since I've never written a line of AngelScript ever before :P

I'm viewing this from a C++ perspective, but according to the docs, and what it seems your asking for is well within the scope of the language.

In case my explanation is not par, take a gander from where I sourced it.

http://www.angelcode.com/angelscript/sdk/docs/manual/doc_script_class_ops.html

http://www.angelcode.com/angelscript/sdk/docs/manual/doc_script_class_private.html

Marcus Hansen

Edited by markypooch

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement