Should I Get A Low-Level Or A High-Level Lib For A Really Basic, Not Secured, High-Latency Networking?

Started by
11 comments, last by Heelp 7 years, 8 months ago

I have one book on networking: Computer networking: A top down approach.

After I read it, I will need a lib to start, I don't care about security, compression, encryption and latency, I just want to add multiplayer to my paintball game. I just want to send some packets.

Maybe at some later stage, I will start caring about this stuff, but for now, I just want to see something that is barely working. What is the fastest way? I already use SDL as a wrapper for opengl, so SDL_net would be the easiest to set up. But I read somewhere that this is a low level lib, and I kind of prefer high level stuff, and I'm wondering what to choose in order to not reinvent the wheel, because I hate to do it. But of course it needs to be suitable for a noob.

Advertisement

Boost asio , if you use C++.

I will go with SDL_net, but thanks for the suggestion. boost asio will be plan B, I guess. :)

RakNet is still by far the easiest system to get up and running, do cool things with, and ship with. ENet is a simpler tool worth looking at.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Promit, I was wondering, do I really need to read that book ( Computer networking: a top down approach ) before starting with networking, because I already read 100 pages, and the only thing I learned about is sniffing, spoofing, stupid cables and basic stuff about packet headers and osi model and I don't really see what this can help me with, should I read the whole book or directly start with raknet, what do you think?

RakNet and Enet are both fine libraries for C / C++ (and some other languages with bindings.)
They are a little higher level than SDL_net, boost::asio or other "socket wrappers."
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

Ok guys, I finally set up the RakNet lib for Code::Blocks, took me 3 hours because of some strict ansi stuff. Nevermind, I started the raknet tutorials and there are a lot of messed up terms like congestion control, NAT traversal and thread stuff, that's why I decided to return to that book of mine and continue with RakNet tomorrow. Stupid theory, why can't just people use simple words...

why can't just people use simple words

Because distributed systems and networking is, unfortunately, not a simple problem.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

why can't just people use simple words

Because distributed systems and networking is, unfortunately, not a simple problem.

That said, you don't need a lot of the things they're talking about to start out. Look at the chat example in the RakNet source. It's enough to get a LAN game working.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Guys, my basic chat program is ready. But I'm worried that if I send the program to my friends, they can somehow mess up with my laptop, because when I actually open a port without any security, I open myself to some bad stuff they can do to harm my pc. Could you give me some advice, something for starters?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement