• Advertisement

Towards The Pantheon [2D Rpg]

Advertisement
Congratulations on the game, it has a bit of an earthbound feeling, though it does seem a bit childish.

When you refer to the battle system, you mean you fight with a single character or the whole party? I would like to hear how you handled aggro, it is the one thing that I hate about turn based rpgs (not being able to control who gets hit).

Hi!
For the battle system, it's turn based like say Paper Mario 64 or Final Fantasy 6. You fight with all party members (as they join your party).
I'm not sure what you mean by aggro in this context (I've heard aggro in MMO contexts but this is a turn based rpg instead of an action rpg). The style of entering battles is similar to the two Harry Potter Gameboy Color games, where there are 'blobs' on the screen and you run into the 'blob' to enter a battle. This allows you to avoid battles as well instead of forced random battles like in classic Pokemon or Golden Sun games. Not sure if that answers your question?

I'm not sure what you mean by aggro in this context (I've heard aggro in MMO contexts but this is a turn based rpg instead of an action rpg).

I guess I didn't explain it very clearly, my bad.

What I meant is: how do you define who will an enemy attack? For instance, my party is ordered:

Freyja

Bam

Mishima

Phenez

Is there the same chance of each of them being hit in a battle? Is there some distribution (for instance Freyja 50% of the attacks, Bam 30%, Mishima 15%, and Phenez 5%)? Or is there an aggro variable (ie Freyja made more damage so far, so it is more likely to be attacked).

EDIT: I heard the songs, here are my thoughts (keep in mind I have 0 musical talent):

Broderskap - I really liked this one. It has a peaceful countryside touch to it. Ceratainly zone material. Definitely my favorite of the set.

Battle in the sewers - I think a battle song needs to be more agitated. IMO battle songs need to make my blood boil. It is by no means a bad song, it reminds me of the robot factory of Chrono Trigger.

A barren wasteland - I liked that one, but I think it is one for a short event only (for instance, if you played tales of phantasia, the moment that Mint and Cless enter the portal), but it is too repetitive to be a zone song.

Speedtesters at your service - liked it, very sonic like IMO.

Dark sewer: dark indeed, I liked it.

Six Six Five: I found the start a bit too similar with the Dark Sewer, the effect that starts at about 3:15 is also a bit out of touch. Other than that I liked it a lot, it has a bit of underwater theme. It took me back to Bialan Island on Ragnarok online:

Lost in a blizzard: pretty much the same of "a barren wasteland".

Sleep tight: starts a bit like a sad theme and evolves to a rap like song. I liked it, seems to fit a cyberpunk city.

Edited by KnolanCross

I'm not sure what you mean by aggro in this context (I've heard aggro in MMO contexts but this is a turn based rpg instead of an action rpg).

What I meant is: how do you define who will an enemy attack? For instance, my party is ordered:

Freyja

Bam

Mishima

Phenez

Is there the same chance of each of them being hit in a battle? Is there some distribution (for instance Freyja 50% of the attacks, Bam 30%, Mishima 15%, and Phenez 5%)? Or is there an aggro variable (ie Freyja made more damage so far, so it is more likely to be attacked).

Each enemy type will have their own preferences, so some will attack randomly, some will have specific criteria as to who to attack and why, and then some will be a mix of both of those (sometimes attacking randomly and sometimes choosing who to attack based on some criteria). The criteria can also be different between enemy types as well.

Since there are different types of enemies from different environments with different abilities, the will each have their own battle styles. This will hopefully keep the battles more interesting throughout the game.

And thank you for your feedback regarding the music, I appreciate it! And Ragnarok Online is one of my all time fav game soundtracks :)

Instead of double posting, here's a new pic of inside the viking houses where the race of cats live.

7MPoAKj.png

Edited by ConnorORT

Freyja

Bam

Mishima

Phenez

Each enemy type will have their own preferences, so some will attack randomly, some will have specific criteria as to who to attack and why, and then some will be a mix of both of those (sometimes attacking randomly and sometimes choosing who to attack based on some criteria). The criteria can also be different between enemy types as well.

Since there are different types of enemies from different environments with different abilities, the will each have their own battle styles. This will hopefully keep the battles more interesting throughout the game.

And thank you for your feedback regarding the music, I appreciate it! And Ragnarok Online is one of my all time fav game soundtracks :)

Instead of double posting, here's a new pic of inside the viking houses where the race of cats live.

7MPoAKj.png

No problem, I can see you put a lot of effort in the game and it is always fun to talk about game design.

Your aggro system can make sense, I can imagine a dog like enemy attacking the cat more often :wink:

BTW, I laughed at the wool balls. I would add some scratches to the walls, it also would be hilarious if at the inn of the village you put a bathtub and next to it a sandbox.

It's time for Towards The Pantheon's 3rd devlog! You can find previous ones at http://www.connorlinning.com/ttp.

GIF7-300x268.gif
Click on the above image to see some effects!

I've been working on various scripts for the game. Above you can see a gif of Bam the cat walking around the mines with some basic fog and lighting effects. I will most likely make the fog more pixelated to match the art style in the future, but the main idea is there. You'll also notice he is standing on minecart tracks. If I have time during the game's development I'd love to make a minecart mini game!

pic12-300x167.png pic13-300x171.png

Leandro has been hard at work finishing up the basic tiles for each area of the game! Here you can see new tiles for the sewer area and the insides of the forest region houses. This means that we now have basic tiles for every area of the game. We now have a good idea of how the game looks, which allows Leandro to move forward with working on more of the art assets that are needed!

I've also been working on falling snow and mist effects for the snow region. There is still some work to do to make the effects fit better, but below you can see my first bits of progress. I will be continuing work on this during the next week and will post a new gif when progress has been made that looks better. The snow and mist are programmed so that I can increase and decrease the intensity as I see fit which will provide some variety throughout the region.

GIF8-300x204.gif
Click on the image to see the snow and mist effects!

In Towards The Pantheon there are cute hamsters that you can ride to quickly travel between areas called the Speedsters. While exploring the different regions of the game you will come across rare tokens which unlock each Speedsters' service, adding their station to the list of nodes you can travel to and from. This will drastically shorten the time you would have to spend backtracking through parts of the game. I began working on the theme for the Speedsters so check out the soundtrack demo on Soundcloud!

Leandro has also begun working on character portraits that will be used predominately throughout dialog, and I've begun implementing the dialog system. I still have work to do in making the dialog box more appealing to the eye, as well as possibly adding more sub-features such as a typewriter effect, but the basic implementation is working!

GIF13-300x167.gif
Click the image above to see progress on the dialog box!

I've ordered myself some books on both European and Japanese culture and mythology to do further research, as two of the regions of Towards The Pantheon are heavily inspired by these cultures. It's not a coincidence that two of the main characters are named Freyja and Mishima! I've also ordered some more green tea so that I'll be able to drink plenty while working on the game full time starting sometime next month. I've been sipping green tea and listening to Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Golden Sun, and Super Mario soundtracks while working on the game so far and I can't wait to work full time on this! Everything has been coming together quite well and if all goes according to plan I will have the first two chapters of the game complete before the end of the year. I can then send off the demo to my friends who have offered to playtest the game and get feedback while working on the remaining chapters.

I've also made an Imgur album to post progress in so if you frequent that site please follow and show some love.

That’s it for this devlog, the next devlog will be posted roughly 2 weeks from now.

If you enjoyed this devlog follow the game and us developers on social media for more frequent smaller updates!

Follow Towards The Pantheon on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Soundcloud, IndieDB, Twitch, Imgur, & Pinterest!

Follow Connor O.R.T. Linning on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Youtube, Soundcloud, Twitch, & Bandcamp!

Follow Leandro Tokarevski on Facebook, Twitter, Tok Arts Media, Twitch, & Youtube!

Thanks for reading!

This looks really cool! Do you have a demo out?

Thank you! :) I plan to have the first two chapters of the game completed before the new year so that friends of mine can playtest the game, and depending on how development goes (and how much spare time I have to prepare a proper public demo) I may release a demo a some point.

I'm currently working on new test levels so that I can test out game mechanics and make sure the gameplay is smooth. Here are some new images, what do you think? Comments welcome!

gif17.gif

pic19.png

pic18.png

pic20.png