• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
FritSolomon

Unity Good Tutorials Or Libraries On Gpu Profiling (Within Game Engine)

This topic is 710 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Would anyone be some kind as to point me to good tutorials, articles and/or libraries (C++) that one could use to implement some basic GPU profiling within a custom Game Engine?

At first, I am thinking mostly of what is made available by Unity's or UE4's profilers in terms of measuring the time taken by different GPU jobs (e.g. drawing opaque geometry, drawing transparent geometry, shadow rendering, etc), as well as the number of draw calls issued. One important requirement is that I need to also measure the time that CPU has to wait in a frame before GPU finishes its jobs, as well as the idle time GPU while it does not receive jobs from CPU.

As mentioned, I am wanting to implement basic GPU profiling within my engine, not relying on external software (which I currently use and could still use for finer details).

Thanks!

Edited by FritSolomon

Advertisement

GPU profiling is something which is best left to driver programmers. You can download free tools for profiling AMD, NVidia and Intel graphics devices, a quick google will point you in the right direction for those. There are also libraries you can integrate, and most of this is free, or available to anyone who registers and waits to be approved.

The graphics profiling in UE4 just gives generic graphics information e.g. number of lights, time spend rendering different parts of the scene graph etc. To go further you really need to dig deep into GPU implementation specific details.

Graphics devices are such complex beasts now that there is no such thing as a one size fits all GPU profiler, but i hope this helps you! :)

Edited by braindigitalis

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!