• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Angelic Ice

Ide For Linux

This topic is 736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello forum!

I'm looking for an IDE that works at least on Linux (Ubuntu) but preferably can make usage of CMakeList.txt-files.

As in, CMakeList.txt passes all the targets and build rules.

CLion was looking really promising, but I cannot afford it. As a result, it would be mandatory to be free.

If it would support Mac OS, that would be just amazing, but as said, not necessary.

Moreover, there is not much what I expect from the IDE. It should support C++11 and 14, though (and compile it for a Linux machine).

In the end, I just need to compile and in case of a OS-specific bug, debug it. Therefore, all those lovely syntax-highlighting features would be really neat.

Not sure if I missed out an important part of needed information. If so, I would be really happy for it to be pointed out.

Thanks for your time reading through my thread : )

Advertisement

What about Eclipse + GCC?

Not sure if you can use Cmake with it, but all other requirements should be fullfilled with this combination

Eclipse is like the swiss army backhoe of linux IDEs.

It does everything but it is extremely heavyweight, make sure you have lots of RAM available!

Personally on linux i'm used to not having an IDE at all, and stick to vim, kate, or whatever is available in a terminal. You can do a lot with vim though to give it IDE-like behaviours, and this is great as vim is accessible with nothing but an ssh session. No GUI required.

Start by reading some of these:

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/blog/2014/11/23/way-vim-ide/

http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Use_Vim_like_an_IDE

By the way, I'm by no means averse to graphical IDEs and use Visual Studio almost religiously in windows. It's just "never been my way" to have an IDE on linux. Your personal preferences may vary.

Hope this helps!

I use Code::Blocks, currently trying out Visual Studio Code(not an IDE but has a decently working debugging interface). I've also tried Codelite - it is awesome, except when it crashes(happens 4-5 times a day), otherwise I love it.

NOTE: I usually work under Windows, so my opinion is no the best.

EDIT:

Not sure if you can use Cmake with it, but all other requirements should be fullfilled with this combination

Partialy - CMake supports projects that are not in a child directroy, while Ecliplse doesn't (ot at least didn't 1 year ago).

Edited by imoogiBG

Windows 10 with Bash user here. I recommend Eclipse + GCC over vim, Emacs for Linux.

Reasons are:

• You want to be able to view variables quickly without having to type gdb and use p to view them.
  • You want to be able to utilize makefiles very fast.
  • Cross-platform development is a breeze in the latest editions of Eclipse. I'm using Eclipse Neon right now for an embedded cross-platform device.   
  • Eclipse is able to customize your toolchains in a neat, tidy, and orderly fashion. I'm using a MinGW toolchain and it's very quick to setup.
  • All of your source files are accessible directly through the Project Explorer.
  • You can run your own custom external programs to help you with your task. For me, I have set up Explorer.exe to open up my project file and designated selected folder directories through Eclipse.
  • It is able to quickly disassemble your project source codes.
  • Just like the main suite of Visual Studio editions, Eclipse is packed and is a heavyweight contender.
  • It comes with an auto-update installer that updates the main branch of your Eclipse IDE to the latest edition.
  • Has a huge community of developers working and maintaining the Eclipse IDE and other things.
  • When you able to use Eclipse effectively, you are able to work with other IDEs (even Visual Studio), as they are designed in a similar fashion for configuring your toolchains.

Reasons why not are:

• It has a gradually gentle learning curve you need to get used to, particularly with the UI and the shortcuts.
  • It requires Java Runtime Environment, since Eclipse is built upon Java first before expanding to other programming languages.
  • You need to know what and where to configure your toolchains. StackOverflow and Google will help you, but you won't be able to do it yourself alone.
Edited by tom_mai78101

QtCreator is what you're looking for. Lightweight, fast, supports everything you asked.

I'd disregard Eclipse. The biggest heavyweight slow IDE ever made. Hurts productivity a lot.

QtCreator. Very lightweight, supports all custom types projects, easy to use, easy to extend if needed. I use it sometimes on Windows too :) I don't use Eclipse mostly because it's so heavy and slow ( but I work with people who chose to use it, so maybe it's just me ).

I use KDevelop and I love it. I've tried Eclipse but always found it too cumbersome and slow compared to other editors. KDevelop works great, and I'm super impressed at how much it can "figure out" about my code without even having a project file (i can hover over a class method name and it looks up the signature and doxygen comments for that and displays it in a popup). I've used it for the past decade and haven't ever found the desire to look at any alternative.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!