Help With Building A Debuggable Native Apk

Started by
1 comment, last by nick5454 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey guys, I've been trying to setup a batch file that builds a native activity into a apk which i can then run and debug on visual studio 2015. I managed to get the apk built and signed properly but whenever I try to debug it with visual studio, I get the following error:

"Unable to start debugging. Android command run-as failed. Package com.example.native_activity is not debuggable."

The app gets installed just fine on the emulator and it runs properly on one of the two emulators that I tried. However, in both cases, I can't actually debug the apk that I built and I tried setting everything to debug that I could, but it still doesn't work. The code I'm using for my app is the example code for a native activity from google: http://brian.io/android-ndk-r10c-docs/Programmers_Guide/html/md_2__samples_sample--nativeactivity.html

My AndroidManifest.xml does have debuggable set to true:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!-- BEGIN_INCLUDE(manifest) -->
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
        package="com.example.native_activity"
        android:versionCode="1"
        android:versionName="1.0"
        android:debuggable="true">

<!-- This is the platform API where NativeActivity was introduced. -->
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="9" />

<!-- This .apk has no Java code itself, so set hasCode to false. -->
    <application android:label="@string/app_name" android:hasCode="false">

<!-- Our activity is the built-in NativeActivity framework class.
             This will take care of integrating with our NDK code. -->
        <activity android:name="android.app.NativeActivity"
                android:label="@string/app_name"
                android:configChanges="orientation|keyboardHidden">
            <!-- Tell NativeActivity the name of or .so -->
            <meta-data android:name="android.app.lib_name"
                    android:value="native-activity" />
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
                <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>
    </application>

</manifest> 
<!-- END_INCLUDE(manifest) -->

I'm using the android_native_glue static lib which I'm not sure if its set to debuggable but I tried to build it myself (which worked), but I don't know how to link the version that I built myself with my native app code (I think it still links with the lib thats given by the ndk). This is what my build.bat looks like:

@echo off

set CodeDir=W:\untitled\code
set OutputDir=W:\untitled\build_android
set AndroidDir=%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Android\android-sdk
set AndroidCmdDir=%AndroidDir%\build-tools\21.1.2

set GlueDir=W:/untitled/code/android/glue
call ndk-build -B NDK_DEBUG=1 APP_BUILD_SCRIPT=%GlueDir%\Android.mk NDK_APPLICATION_MK=%GlueDir%\Application.mk -C %GlueDir% NDK_PROJECT_PATH=%GlueDir% NDK_LIBS_OUT=%OutputDir%\lib NDK_OUT=%OutputDir%\obj
call ndk-build -B NDK_DEBUG=1 APP_BUILD_SCRIPT=%CodeDir%\android\Android.mk NDK_APPLICATION_MK=%CodeDir%\android\Application.mk -C %CodeDir%\android NDK_PROJECT_PATH=%CodeDir%\android NDK_LIBS_OUT=%OutputDir%\lib NDK_OUT=%OutputDir%\obj

REM Create Keystore for signing our apk
REM call keytool -genkey -v -keystore %OutputDir%\debug.keystore -storepass android -alias androiddebugkey -dname "filled in with relevant info" -keyalg RSA -keysize 2048 -validity 20000

pushd %OutputDir%
del *.apk >NUL 2> NUL
popd

REM Create APK file
call "%AndroidCmdDir%\aapt" package -v -f -M %CodeDir%\android\AndroidManifest.xml -S %CodeDir%\android\res -I "%AndroidDir%/platforms/android-19/android.jar" -F %OutputDir%\AndroidTest.unsigned.apk %OutputDir%
call "%AndroidCmdDir%\aapt" add W:\untitled\build_android\AndroidTest.unsigned.apk W:\untitled\build_android\lib\x86\libnative-activity.so

REM Sign the apk with our keystore
call jarsigner -sigalg SHA1withRSA -digestalg SHA1 -storepass android -keypass android -keystore %OutputDir%\debug.keystore -signedjar %OutputDir%\AndroidTest.signed.apk %OutputDir%\AndroidTest.unsigned.apk androiddebugkey

"%AndroidCmdDir%\zipalign" -v 4 %OutputDir%\AndroidTest.signed.apk %OutputDir%\AndroidTest.aligned.apk

The debug key already exists, I just don't recreate it on every build process so thats why its commented out. The first ndk-build builds the native_glue while the second one builds the native-activity. The Android.mk for the native-glue is the same as the one provided in the ndk with no changes. The Application.mk is the same as the one I use for the native-activity. This is what my Android.mk and Application.mk look like for the native activity:

LOCAL_PATH := $(call my-dir)

include $(CLEAR_VARS)

LOCAL_MODULE    := native-activity
LOCAL_SRC_FILES := main.c
LOCAL_LDLIBS    := -llog -landroid -lEGL -lGLESv1_CM
LOCAL_STATIC_LIBRARIES := android_native_app_glue

include $(BUILD_SHARED_LIBRARY)

$(call import-module,android/native_app_glue)

APP_ABI := x86
APP_PLATFORM := android-9

I looked online and they say that one way to make sure your apk is debuggable is to unzip it and see if the lib folder has the gbserver files. I did that for mine and the gbserver files were there so I'm not sure why my apk is not debuggable. Is it because I'm not properly linking with my own version of the native_glue and if it is, how do I make my makefile link with my version of the native glue and not the default provided by the ndk?

Advertisement

AFAIK, VS needs to have more direct insight into the native APK build process - meaning it needs to be a makefile project or Visual Studio's special Android project file - in order for debugging to work through the IDE. I suspect your problem is because you're executing the build through a batch file, and VS has no idea that it's an APK. I could be wrong, but in my experience VS isn't this flexible with Android (yet.. come on MS, get there!).

Admin for GameDev.net.

Did you turn on debugging on the phone?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement