• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
HateWork

Vulkan How To Execute Pre-Recorded Command Buffers In Vulkan?

This topic is 758 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

My question sounds simple: How to execute pre-recorded command buffers in Vulkan?

But we'll see that the answer is not as simple as: Use Vulkan's vkQueueSubmit for primary command buffers or vkCmdExecuteCommands for secondary command buffers.

I'm just starting with Vulkan and I'm creating a library for the user to issue drawing commands on a 2D canvas. The context here is that the user is able to create many command buffers. The key condition is that the user is able to execute the recorded command buffers in any order and there might be pipeline state changes between the execution of each of these command buffers.

So, lets start with the analysis:

As mentioned in the VK specs, all drawing commands must live within a render pass instance. But all the work in the render pass must be done in only one command buffer because we can not end the command buffer without ending the render pass first. So, this means that we can not have a command buffer to begin the render pass, put our pre-recorded command buffers in the middle, have another command buffer to end the render pass and finally send these 3 (or more) command buffers to the queue using vkQueueSubmit. The only alternative left is to use secondary command buffers.

Secondary command buffers allow to execute command buffers within a primary command buffer. This sounds convenient because we already have a primary command buffer, the one that holds the render pass and the secondary command buffers will be the ones recorded by the user. The logical thing to do then is:

1. Begin the primary command buffer using vkBeginCommandBuffer.
  2. Put a memory barrier to set the framebuffer as render target (required for drawing) in the primary command buffer using vkCmdPipelineBarrier.
  3. Begin the render pass in the primary command buffer using vkCmdBeginRenderPass.
  4. Set up the initial pipeline state object in the primary command buffer using vkCreateGraphicsPipelines.
  5. Bind the initial pipeline state object in the primary command buffer using vkCmdBindPipeline.
  6. Call vkCmdExecuteCommands to execute the pre-recorded secondary command buffers inside the primary command buffer.
  7. End the render pass in the primary command buffer using vkCmdEndRenderPass.
  8. Put a memory barrier to set the framebuffer back to its original state (required for presenting) in the primary command buffer using vkCmdPipelineBarrier.
  9. End the primary command buffer using vkEndCommandBuffer.
  10. Submit the primary command buffer to the graphics queue using vkQueueSubmit.
  11. Present the frame using vkQueuePresentKHR.

Unfortunately this won't work because when you begin a render pass in a command buffer, all the other commands in the command buffer between the vkCmdBeginRenderPass and vkCmdEndRenderPass calls must be either inlined (VK_SUBPASS_CONTENTS_INLINE) which allows execution of any commands in the primary command buffer like vkCreateGraphicsPipelines and vkCmdBindPipeline for example, or must be grouped into secondary buffers (VK_SUBPASS_CONTENTS_SECONDARY_COMMAND_BUFFERS). The problem is that in the example above we have both: Inlined commands and secondary commands, this is out of spec and if commands are inlined (first flag) then secondary commands can not be executed but if we specify the secondary flag then no inlined commands can be executed (all inlined commands are discarded except for vkCmdExecuteCommands which is used for the execution of secondary command buffers).

How do I deal with this?

Remember that we can not move inlined commands to the secondary command buffers because these are pre-recorded by the user so when a pipeline state change occurs between two secondary command buffers we can not inject vkCmdBindPipeline at the beginning of the secondary buffer.

The condition about exclusion between inlined and secondary commands in a render pass is canceled when either a call to vkCmdEndRenderPass is made or a call to vkCmdNextSubpass is made. Taking attention to the second call gives me the idea to use subpasses. I've never used subpasses and do not know yet how they work but if I think about it, I'll have to use the first subpass in the render pass to set up the initial pipeline state then use another subpass to execute my secondary command buffers then if a pipeline state change occurs I'll have to use another subpass to update the pipeline state and then finally use another subpass to continue executing my secondary command buffers.

Is this the way it is supposed to execute pre-recorded command buffers in Vulkan?

All the examples I've come across record a single primary command buffer every frame and do not expose this situation. This is a trivial subject but Vulkan has made it all different with the introduction of render passes.

Thank you guys for your time. Any help to all the Vulkan beginners will be much appreciated by all of us.

Advertisement
s this the way it is supposed to execute pre-recorded command buffers in Vulkan?

Yes, in general. However Your use case: 

key condition is that the user is able to execute the recorded command buffers in any order and there might be pipeline state changes between the execution of each of these command buffers

is not possible. In Vulkan command buffers do not inherit pipeline state, and each command buffer must bind the proper pipeline before drawing or dispatching. Your idea seems reasonable, but would be very cumbersome to implement - just imagine the amount of state in pipeline that should be 'patched' into the command buffer. 

Note:

I've never used subpasses and do not know yet how they work but if I think about it, I'll have to use the first subpass in the render pass to set up the initial pipeline state then use another subpass to execute my secondary command buffers then if a pipeline state change occurs I'll have to use another subpass to update the pipeline state and then finally use another subpass to continue executing my secondary command buffers.

This is invalid. vkCmdNextSubpass invalidates the current pipeline, and another pipeline with proper VkGraphicsPipelineCreateInfo.subpass value should be bound.

How do I deal with this?

I guess your intention is to run same command buffer multiple times with different shaders. Instead, as long as the GPR pressure permits, you can merge the shaders together and parametrize by an uniform buffer value - sth in the spirit of 'subroutines' in OpenGL.

Edited by scygan

cygan, wow, thank you very, very, very much for your time and your wise answer. I was pretty explicit in my post and you were able to understand my situation. I'm kind of shocked because I thought more people were going to jump to this sinking boat (a trivial Vulkan topic that almost everyone must come across)...but even more shocked by the fact that I think I got to a dead end with Vulkan...and I was just starting.

This is invalid. vkCmdNextSubpass invalidates the current pipeline, and another pipeline with proper VkGraphicsPipelineCreateInfo.subpass value should be bound.

Actually I could try to create a new pipeline state object at every subpass with the corresponding subpass index...lets see if the validation layer complains. This is my last hope. I just wish Khronos, AMD and Nvidia could send their engineers to my home just like the do with big game studios ;)

I guess your intention is to run same command buffer multiple times with different shaders. Instead, as long as the GPR pressure permits, you can merge the shaders together and parametrize by an uniform buffer value - sth in the spirit of 'subroutines' in OpenGL.

Yep, different shaders and textures. I guess I must try this as well. But the problem is that in my library I'm using a "Graphics Driver Interface". It is an interface that all graphics APIs must follow. So far I've implemented D3D11 and D3D12 and part of OpenGL 4 succesfully. So, the user just draw using my library and the interface takes care of the internal stuff no matter the selected API. The problem is that Vulkan will not behave according to the general interface thus dragging down my gfx driver interface model. This is just a personal drawback but maybe if there is a Vulkan only design it could work by merging shaders and parametrizying.

In D3D12 this is nothing, I did this on day one, in fact it is designed to work in this flexible model. Vulkan at the contrary has to insist in the so called "predictability" introduced as a feature when in fact is a drawback to flexibility. I understand that Vulkan is an API that has to live for another 20 years like OpenGL and this must include support for tiler devices and even devices that hasn't been invented yet but support for some devices will exclude full optimization for another kind of devices. Some graphics chip manufacturers keep telling that a forward renderer could be optimized with render passes by letting the driver to guess what you're doing and then do it for you in the background, while in my personal opinion I prefer the driver to do exactly as I say and when I say it, that's basic optimization of resources per se...and I thought Vulkan' slogan was "full control of resources".

Enough rant guys hehe. I just have to cool down and take it easy. I might drop Vulkan support for my library but then again might get back in a few years to check if this is supported in forward renderers (past, current and modern).

In the meanwhile take care guys and keep developing games and your mind.

Edited by HateWork

Well, after a couple of days I can confirm that there's no workaround for this, it simply can't be done in Vulkan.

I was trying to make Vulkan behave like D3D12, that's impossible. So I had to redesign my GFX interface and make D3D12 behave like Vulkan.

"Don't try to bend the spoon, that's impossible...instead try to bend yourself".

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!