Adequate Windows Operating System Testing

Started by
9 comments, last by ApochPiQ 7 years, 8 months ago

I think if it were now the target operating systems are Win10, Win9, Win7 that I am considering testing. What does everyone thing about testing on the older systems all the way down to windows 2000?

Secondly, if a game is tested on a version of an operating system such as XP Home, is testing necessary on the other versions such as Professional?

This could be expensive is why I ask.

Thank you,

Josheir

Advertisement
XP is dead and essentially unsupported. Vista is on its way out. 2000 is archaeology.

Testing on different editions is rarely necessary unless you specifically target a feature that is not available in some particular edition of Windows. I can't think of anything off the top of my head though.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

DirectX 12? =)

For games, XP has some relevancy left if you're targeting internet cafes in China or nearby regions (and maybe some others), but even that is giving over to Windows 7 or newer -- XP is already small, and only going to get smaller. Keep in mind that supporting XP means supporting Direct3D 9 and other legacy APIs, which is an entirely different level of expense than supporting the modern APIs you're already using on down-level operating systems that support them.

Also ask yourself if a PC that meets the hardware requirements of your game is likely to be running XP to begin with -- the number of people running XP on hardware suitable for Windows 7 is pretty small.

I'd say that Windows 10 is now a pretty safe bet -- since Windows 10 was a strict improvement over Windows 8/8.1 there was no reason not to do the free upgrade that Microsoft offered. Add to that that app-store model for Windows 8/8.1 is now effectively deprecated, I'd personally be entirely comfortable assuming Windows 10. If I felt compelled to support down-level operating systems I'd support Windows 7 in addition to 10, there's no compelling technical or market-share argument to support Windows 8 or 8.1.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

To start with I'd get an old PC / emulator running your lowest target, and thoroughly debug it on that. That won't cost much, if anything, and should identify a lot of possible problems, to start with.

So, does everyone agree that Win 8 is not used enough to really consider? Vista and Win 7, how much time is left with these? Were can I look at these os market shares?

My program uses an older directx versions 7 and 8. So I am wondering if it is worth my while to target the older Operating Systems. A small percent of the market might be enough consumers if they can find my game.

Also, if my software is for two operating systems only this is a common enough approach to advertise?

Thank you,

Josheir

Steam Surveys are generally a good place to find OS data: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Thanks Ravyne!

What versions of OS though? Steam was neat, and showed that 64 bit is the way to go for both Win10 and Win 7. I was wondering further though which would be worthwhile picking for both of these systems. Maybe Home Basic and Home Premium for 7 and Home and Pro for 10 with the possibility of just doing Win 10 and than maybe doing Enterprise too.

Have a good day,

Joshua

Again, multiple editions of Windows are rarely a genuine problem. Unless you are specifically targeting features that are NOT available in lower-level editions, you're fine.

You would be very unlikely to be using an edition-specific feature and not know it.

ApochPiQ,

I know your the expert and I'm smiling really but just not testing seems rather scary. So you'd advice no testing at all on the other versions?

Josh

There's just no need I guess not even play-testers?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement