Sign in to follow this  

Sfml-Cross-Platform-Alternatives

This topic is 494 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello forum!

I'm looking for libraries that take away the work of making my graphics/audio/input creation available on these platforms: Windows, Linux and Android.

The amount of supported platforms has no ceiling of course, the more the merrier.

Pretty much SFML.

I'd rather avoid C-based libraries. However, there is no rational reasoning. I just dislike the concept of using C-based libraries when I'm not using C.

What I would like to know, if there are maybe hidden gems out there, which you would recommend while still keeping in mind, that I need to support Android as well!

These do not have to be complete library-collections as SFML is. Simple single audio, input, ... are already quite valid.

It would be great, if the process of building the library for Android is "easy" and "straightforward" (should I keep dreaming?).

I'm aware that supporting Android is never that easy... so many versions, NDK itself being a bit of a struggle, different hardware-inputs, ...

Nonetheless, I'm curious to see whether I'm better off with other libraries.

I could even imagine to use a keyboard-library for my computer approaches and a different library for Android-phones.

Things I highly value about SFML is to even invoke my own OpenGL operations, if needed. It opens up the fear of being limited.

Though my planned application is quite simple.

In the end, I feel like SFML is my best bet. However, as I'm always open to new technologies, I would like to hear your opinions : )

Thanks for reading my thread!

If you're working in C++ and want to stay fairly low level then SDL and SFML are the only game(s) in town as far as I am concerned.

There are some other higher level toolkits like OpenFrameworks but that's a big set of tools for those with a lot of time to invest in learning them.

Don't worry about the C vs C++ aspect of SDL or SFML - C is (mostly) a subset of C++ and interoperates with it about as well as any language can. Edited by Kylotan

In the end, I feel like SFML is my best bet. However, as I'm always open to new technologies, I would like to hear your opinions : )

I am in a similar situation as you. I'm happy with SFML because it gives you freedom of movement but with a slightly higher level, what is good if you come from raw coding. Allegro has also something to say.

This topic is 494 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.