Sign in to follow this  

How Long Will Directx Last For?

This topic is 481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What do you mean by backwards compatible?  If you mean modern windows OS's can still run applications that use older versions of directx then yes but truthfully in that case its windows that is backwards compatible not directx.  The latest version of DX (12) is significantly different than previous versions.  As far as how long DX will be around for I'd say as long as windows is around.

Very interesting Matias Goldberg.  It seems that what you are discussing is the directx 3D.  My program is a 2D adventure game and it uses directx7 and directx8 direct draw.  I would guess that all the older untested GPUs would work on 2D and features levels too? 

Josheir

The same applies to DirectDraw. In the beginning they were separate, one for 2D the other 3D.

Beginning DirectX 8, DDraw began a slow deprecation (moving towards doing everything in D3D) until it was completely phased out in DirectX10.

DDraw could have bugs or not, just like D3D applications. But it's more likely to have fewer bugs. A major advantage is that on Windows XP DDraw acceleration can be turned off as CPUs should be fast enough the kind of work we supplied in the 90's to DDraw; and in Windows Vista+ it can be turned off via the DirectX Control Panel switch or reg keys (though not beginners).

Matias, do you have any statistics or guesstimates on Win10 and Win7 systems failing using VIsual 8 and Visual 7 libraries with the newer SDKs

Thank you,

Josh

Edited by Josheir

What would you reccommend for this problem, an explanation of the chances of failure?  Can a failure like this cause any problems to a computer?  And I edited the previous post, if you could look at that too please.

Thank you,

Josheir

This topic is 481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.