• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An extreme beginner in programming looking to start programming games... Needs help.

This topic is 5995 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a question. I want to create an RPG, a 3D one. However, I would like it to be programmed in DirectX, so, if it is good, it could be ported. So what do I need to make a graphic engine in DirectX? Also, which programming language should I use? Or are there already 3D RPG engines out there? Please help

Advertisement
Woah, slow down!

Do you know how to program? If so, what langs? use one of the langs that you know. Also a 3D game? if you have never made a game before try making a 2D one first. Also Direct X isnt portable, but OpenGL is.

What is a graphics engine? Basicly it deals with all the input of graphics, models ect and also does the maths/physics relating to the game.

As for the programming lang to use, it doesnt matter. Someone on here told me that its not the lang that makes a good game, its the programmers use of it. You choose. If you cant program, try learning C++ or C. choose one, C++ is generally more complex, but you can achieve alot with objects. If C/C++ is too dificult, try a lang like QBASIC, that what i started on.

Hi
I would recommend you to start with some very small games like: Snake or whatever
Start with reading some tutorials but don''t plan a big game yet!

Have fun
Bunnz

Visit: www.bunnz.com

Do you people not remember being a newbie?

first, make an interactive survey-style thing (sure, it''ll suck, but so will everything else you make until you go pro)

then, make something like Hi-Lo (a guessing game). That''ll teach you most of the game creation cycle (and it''ll give you a good foundation for learning random number generation, which will most likely be troublesome for you)

thirdly, at this point, you can either go for a console version of PONG, or something similar, OR you can go straight into windows programming (since most anything which moves is difficult in console these days); if you go into Windows, make PONG - it''ll teach you basic physics and introduce you to more of the game cycle. This is the time to pump out dozens of little graphics demos using the GDI

now, learn the fundamentals of DirectX or OpenGL, and go on to make tetris, or snake, or a mario clone, or something else, remembering that you''ll need to learn many things for each new game you create.

the most important thing (which has been iterated in this thread, but I must say again): don''t rush yourself. It''ll take you probably more than two years to learn C++, Win32, and even the beginnings of an API.

also important: have fun.

hope this helps,
zealouselixir

This sounds so failiar...... everyone wants to do a RPG as a beginner. It is probably one of the most complex of games (masses of graphics, scripts, etc). I got lost half way through making my 1500 graphic tiles. However I kept it and went back one day and finished it.

My recommendation. Get allegro (www.allegro.cc) and try it 2D first. Jumping straight into 3D will kill you if your a beginner. Allegro has a fast-to-screen pixels function which helps with beginners who aren''t great at optimising.

www.sagamedev.co.za

quote:
Original post by ZealousElixir
Do you people not remember being a newbie?

first , make an interactive survey-style thing (sure, it''ll suck, but so will everything else you make until you go pro)

then , make something like Hi-Lo (a guessing game). That''ll teach you most of the game creation cycle (and it''ll give you a good foundation for learning random number generation, which will most likely be troublesome for you)

thirdly , at this point, you can either go for a console version of PONG, or something similar, OR you can go straight into windows programming (since most anything which moves is difficult in console these days); if you go into Windows, make PONG - it''ll teach you basic physics and introduce you to more of the game cycle. This is the time to pump out dozens of little graphics demos using the GDI

now , learn the fundamentals of DirectX or OpenGL, and go on to make tetris, or snake, or a mario clone, or something else, remembering that you''ll need to learn many things for each new game you create.

the most important thing (which has been iterated in this thread, but I must say again): don''t rush yourself. It''ll take you probably more than two years to learn C++, Win32, and even the beginnings of an API.

also important: have fun.

hope this helps,
zealouselixir

I second that!!

First I made a mock-up cash register receipt thingie that totted up values entered...

Then I made High-Lo (except I''m a nast bugger so mine changed the number when you got it wrong!)

Now I''ve just made breakout in mode 13h in Pascal 7

Next I''ll improve the C++ I know and learn some open GL (just as soon as ATI give me more than the generic response to my graphics driver problem question).

Slow is definitely the way to go!!

---------------------
Light of my life
Fire of my loins.
My sin, my soul
LOLITA
---------------------

Yall that have posted you''re right on the Money! those are some good ideas for a start, but we''re missing the post

dcpsoguy if you want us to help we need some response.

What do you already know? a language? Calculus? Physics? an API?
If so what proficiency? What have you done?

Tell us these and i think we can point you toward some good books and tutorials for your ability.

RELIGION IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL

• Advertisement