Different Versions of VS C++.

Started by
8 comments, last by Josheir 7 years, 8 months ago

Hello,

I just found this:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh266747.aspx

If you use Visual Studio 2015 together with Visual Studio 2013,Visual Studio 2012 or Visual Studio 2010 SP1, you can create and modify projects and files in any of the versions. You can transfer projects and files among the versions as long as you don't add features that are not supported by one of the versions.

Its great, from what I understand the project can be changed to 2010 from 2008 and I want a (simple) way to change my earlier versions back to 2008. Perhaps the .cpp, .h source files could be inserted back into a new 2008 project?

I just want to have the 2008 version too,

Josheir

Advertisement
Personally I would much rather use something like CMake or Premake to generate my project files. Not only does that eliminate the potential headache when switching to a different version of MSVC I also get additional build environments for several platforms and compilers for free. I haven't had to deal explicitly with an MSVC project file at work for years and it made me a happier person.

Personally, I'd rather see 2008 (and 2010, and 2012, and soon 2013) die in a fire. The reasons to support old versions of VS are pretty few; for the sweet price of more project/build complexity all you get in return is an inability to use newer features or fixes. That's a pretty raw deal.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

I really did want to post this on Stackoverflow but there website doesn't look to well in my browser!

so :

I'm trying to make a script that will make my project for the diferent versions of visual

studio (2008 - 2015). For example I want to use the project again in 2008 after some work in say 2012.

I thought these flags should be added (somewhere in some order?) :

flags { "WinMain" , "ExtraWarnings", "FatalWarnings"}

I need to know how the directx is scripted. I will be using the June 2010 sdk update

(legacy.)

Here are the headers and libraries:

DDRAW.LIB | H
DSOUND.LIB | H
DINPUT.LIB | H
DINPUT8.LIB | H
WINMM.LIB | H

And how is the solution name and project name determined?

Here is the skeleton:

#!lua

-- A solution contains projects, and defines the available configurations
solution "MyApplication"
configurations { "Debug", "Release" }

-- A project defines one build target
project "MyApplication"
kind "WindowedApp"
language "C++"
files { "**.h", "**.cpp" }

configuration "Debug"
defines { "DEBUG" }
flags { "Symbols" }

configuration "Release"
defines { "NDEBUG" }
flags { "Optimize" }

Thank you,

Josh

There are plenty of project generation packages out there, like CMake, which already do this. I highly recommend using one if you really need to support multiple VS versions.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Oh, I didn't mention that this is the scripting for PreMake (one of those packages recommended in this thread by Bitmaster!)

I couldn't find any good documents and when I log on to StackOverflow it looks like maybe it really did have a stack overflow. It's been that way for some time too.

PreMake runs as a command prompt and uses the script to create the project.

Josh

How does this look :

#!lua
flags { "ExtraWarnings", "FatalWarnings" , "WinMain" }

-- A solution contains projects, and defines the available configurations
solution "MyApplication"
configurations { "Debug", "Release" }

-- A project defines one build target
project "MyApplication"
kind "WindowedApp"
language "C++"
files { "**.h", "**.cpp" }
links {"ddraw", "dsound", "dinput", "dinput8", "winmm"}

configuration "Debug"
defines { "DEBUG" }
flags { "Symbols" }

configuration "Release"
defines { "NDEBUG" }
flags { "Optimize" }

The solution text and project text are that of the visual studio express's solution and project.

Josheir

I'm moving this to the dedicated forum for build systems, since that seems like a more suitable home for the subject.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Okay, thank you ApochPiQ.

Joshua

BitMaster, when using PreMake is it possibe to load projects into the previous versions using Visual Studio. For example if I'm running my code using VS 2015 and I use the LUA script to allow me to use the Project in all the earlier versions of Visual Studio?

It would be neat I think,

Joshua

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement