Started by
4 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 7 years, 8 months ago

inline bool FoundInVector(std::vector<int> * p, int num){
int len = (*p).size();

for (int i=0; i < len; i++)
if (num == (*p)[i]) return true;

return false;
}

it compiles but i wonder if (*p) is correct.

Advertisement

Yep, that's correct.

However, I'd write that function like this:

template<typename Element> //Templated for flexibility.
bool Exists(std::vector<Type> &container, const Type &valueToFind) //Pass the container by reference, not by pointer, unless the parameter is optional.
{
    for(const Element &element : container) //Range-for for speed and safety.
    {
         if(element == valueToFind)
             return true;
    }

return false;
}

@Servant:

I think you also want to replace "Element" by "Type" (Type is now undefined), and pass the vector as a const as well. This then becomes

template<typename Type>
bool Exists(const std::vector<Type> &container, const Type &valueToFind)
{
    for(const Type &element : container) //Range-for for speed and safety.
    {
        if(element == valueToFind) return true;
    }

return false;
}

@WiredCat

"int *p" is a pointer to integer, so "std::vector<int> * p" is a pointer to a vector (changing the base type has no influence on the meaning of "*").

If "p" is a pointer to a vector, then "*p" is the vector itself. You can add parentheses for clarity, giving "(*p)". You can index a vector. Since "(*p)" is a vector, you can index "(*p)", leading to "(*p)" like you wrote.

Perhaps it looks weird to you , since you mostly see "p->something", but this is actually a simpler-to-write version of "(*p).something".

There is also an STL function "find" http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/algorithm/find but for this case, it is probably simpler to just write the implementation by hand.

If this isn't something you do often then you could just use std::find instead of writing a function:

#include <algorithm>

bool found = std::find(vec.begin(), vec.end(), val) != vec.end();
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

If this isn't something you do often then you could just use std::find instead of writing a function:

#include <algorithm>

bool found = std::find(vec.begin(), vec.end(), val) != vec.end();

I think I prefer that approach (while holding onto the return value), it actually lets you do something if you find it without really doing more than necessary to check for it's existence.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

@Servant:

I think you also want to replace "Element" by "Type" (Type is now undefined), and pass the vector as a const as well.

Oops, I switched from 'Type' to 'Element' (more descriptive) but missed one. Thanks for the catch!

'container' totally should be const. :ph34r:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement