GATHER: Crappy browser game about leading minions & harvesting sacrifice for Gods

Started by
2 comments, last by Koobazaur 7 years, 8 months ago
My second design experiment GATHER is released! Learn the world, lead minions, gather resources, harvest sacrifice for the Gods!

1ZKWMEn.jpg
From the testing I’ve done, I already know it’s not as good as I hoped. But that is the point of a design experiment - to learn what works and what doesn’t. I definitely got a few valuable lessons from this project.
Hope you enjoy :)
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Advertisement
The biggest failing, and most valuable lesson is now clear. I hoped to evoke a sense of wonder to make the players experiment and learn via trial and error only using non-verbal communication panels (deliberate design limitation). Clearly, this didn't work and ended up confusing / frustrating players. Instead of wanting to discover the world and its mechanics, they felt aimless.
However, I am not sure if it's a problem of initial motivation, not making the mechanics engaging/rewarding in themselves (like in other sandbox games), or simply needing to spell out things more clearly. Any thoughts on that?
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

Nice style :)

Thanks! Both my browser games now got complimented on art. While I cannot take credit for the free art assets I used, I did spend a lot of time researching pieces that fit and tweaking them in photoshop a little :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement