Sign in to follow this  

GATHER: Crappy browser game about leading minions & harvesting sacrifice for Gods

This topic is 481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My second design experiment [b]GATHER[/b] is released! Learn the world, lead minions, gather resources, harvest sacrifice for the Gods! 

[center]
[url=http://gamejolt.com/games/gather/166416]PLAY IN YOUR BROWSER NOW! Tell me how much it sucks :p

1ZKWMEn.jpg[/url]
[/center]

From the testing I’ve done, I already know it’s not as good as I hoped. But that is the point of a design experiment - to learn what works and what doesn’t. I definitely got a few valuable lessons from this project.

Hope you enjoy :)

The biggest failing, and most valuable lesson is now clear. I hoped to evoke a sense of wonder to make the players experiment and learn via trial and error only using non-verbal communication panels (deliberate design limitation). Clearly, this didn't work and ended up confusing / frustrating players. Instead of wanting to discover the world and its mechanics, they felt aimless.

However, I am not sure if it's a problem of initial motivation, not making the mechanics engaging/rewarding in themselves (like in other sandbox games), or simply needing to spell out things more clearly. [b]Any thoughts on that?[/b]

This topic is 481 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.