• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Koobazaur

Blade Runner-ish city mood not working, could use some direction

This topic is 849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, so I'm working on a simple side-scrolling city scene and struggling with the art. I've done an art test using Kenny's free tiles and going after a Blade Runner esque feel but not quite nailing it.

YxMU1mN.jpg
(Click for Bigger)

I know I lack all the Asian stuff but I don't want that. I also don't have the glowy banners (yet), but even with how its looking, I'm not sure that would solve it. I focused on lots of different colors and bloom in a night scene but it doesn't feel right. What am I missing?
Edited by Koobazaur

Advertisement

In addition i miss fog and city density.

Your city looks sparse and still too bright, Bladerunner is dark, dense neverending city - no horizion, just more buildings everywhere.

I agree with the previous posts.

Additionally,
- It's missing some texture \ chaos (graffiti, cracks, billboards etc.)
- The buildings on the background need lights too, else they look like a district under blackout.
- I would change the lighting in some parts, like the roofs. I would also use less smooth gradients, replacing for sharper zones, though I didn't do that in the image below as it would take too much time.

city_Example.png

Abuse (DOS, 1995) had some cool grunge visuals:

city_Example2.png

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!