Week of Awesome IV - The after party/judging thread

Started by
125 comments, last by rodolfodth 7 years, 7 months ago

And I still hope that someone would take the 3 references in the monitor: D

One, if I'm not much mistaken, referenced Shaun of the Dead. (That would be the list on the post-it note.)

FINALLY! :D

tumblr_nvrd0i9m1B1ur7mdeo4_400.gif

Advertisement

I'm happiest with the concept itself, that is, how it provides the player with many options at any given time:

- Go kill a mob

- Go fetch a bonepile

- Go upgrade a ruin (and which one? to which state?)

I think games are a lot about the choices you have, and how you make them, and this game has very 'grey' choices to make (hopefully there isn't too much of a dominant strategy!).

Also for the judges, how is the judging going? I'm keen to get any feedback!

we are almost there, 2 judges are finished, and 1 is very close. i'm unsure how far the last judge is as he had prior commitments this previous weekend. I'm hoping we can get results out shortly!

Usually I muck around with my game engine, perfecting this bit and that, instead of actually making a game. Participating in game jams is the 'proof of the pudding' for me - I have to use my self rolled engine to actually create a game. Usually i encounter lots of problems and expose bugs. But this time around I am happy to say that it was actually quite a joy to use the engine to create something enjoyable to play in a relatively short time, getting it out there and getting feedback on the way.

This sounds very familiar to myself, like you this was the first real test for my most recent iteration of my framework, and am quite pleased with how well it worked, and seems to have minimal issues with distribution.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

And I still hope that someone would take the 3 references in the monitor: D

One, if I'm not much mistaken, referenced Shaun of the Dead. (That would be the list on the post-it note.)

FINALLY! :D

tumblr_nvrd0i9m1B1ur7mdeo4_400.gif

Of course I went straight and watched this movie again.

Thanks!

Of course I went straight and watched this movie again.

Shaun of the Dead: The Deus Ex of movies? ;)

we are almost there, 2 judges are finished, and 1 is very close. i'm unsure how far the last judge is as he had prior commitments this previous weekend. I'm hoping we can get results out shortly!

Ah, that's good to read! ^_^

... A little nerve-wracking, but good! ^^;

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I have a question for my fellow participants:

What are you happiest about regarding your part in the competition? (Bearing in mind that the judging isn't yet in.) This could be anything--a social matter (such as getting to work with a particular person), a feature that you successfully implemented, a game-design choice that you feel worked very well, a terrible bug that you managed to squash, etc.

Hmm,I think getting the wondering AI characters to chase the player when close enough using the "senses" AI system/module.

Before I had only made two AI: One that randomly picks a point to move to in a certain radius And then one that would move to the players position every N seconds.

So having randomly moving AI that chases you would be what I am happiest about.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

I have a question for my fellow participants:

What are you happiest about regarding your part in the competition? (Bearing in mind that the judging isn't yet in.) This could be anything--a social matter (such as getting to work with a particular person), a feature that you successfully implemented, a game-design choice that you feel worked very well, a terrible bug that you managed to squash, etc.

Compared to last year I am just happy that I got a game in at all. Actually I am pleased with my take on the themes; I spent the entirety of the Monday just trying to come up with ideas for games against the 4 themes, so it certainly wasn't just a flash of inspiration. I know that if I don't come up with an idea that I'm 100% behind then it will be difficult to commit a week of my life to it. Now, whether the judges will like my take on the themes or not remains to be seen.

As far as I can think right now, my game (Gamut of Blob) is the only entry to tackle both the gameplay themes (shadows and evolution) - I do apologize if I am forgetting somebody's game here. But maybe that'll set my game apart in some small way? Or maybe it was a risky decision? In any case I think it's an interesting mix and I am happy with how they turned out.

I'm the happiest about that the game worked out totally different from what I had envisioned from the start. I was actually planning for a lurk in the shadows game where you would avoid the enemies. Now it's not even much of avoiding the dark, but exploring with a light in your hand.

Now if that works in my favour regarding the actual themes, who knows :)

Fun fact: It's not the first time I'm encountering evolution as a theme. Somehow I always think along the lines of mutation in all kinds of directions, which would be horror to implement in a short time. Your take on evolution is a really nice one :)

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Fun fact: It's not the first time I'm encountering evolution as a theme.

Would that be Ludum Dare?

Somehow I always think along the lines of mutation in all kinds of directions, which would be horror to implement in a short time.

Yeah that's part of what put me off one of my early ideas: A retro-styled (read: pixellated) farming game where you cross-breed veggies to achieve desired phenotypes, perhaps driven by a supply & demand mechanic.
(I didn't get as far as working out how to mix one of the other 3 themes into that).

Your take on evolution is a really nice one :)

Thanks!

I was/am a little concerned with how well I can convince people (the judges!) that it is "evolution". Obviously it's a non-literal interpretation, but I decided that was okay.

Somehow I always think along the lines of mutation in all kinds of directions, which would be horror to implement in a short time.

Yeah that's part of what put me off one of my early ideas: A retro-styled (read: pixellated) farming game where you cross-breed veggies to achieve desired phenotypes, perhaps driven by a supply & demand mechanic.
(I didn't get as far as working out how to mix one of the other 3 themes into that).

Likewise, I had an idea that used the "Evolution" and "Ruins" themes: The player was a being composed of chunks of a ruined building (I had it in mind that it was a temple). In this setting, the use and nature of the population of a place echoes in its ruins. The player would encounter various ruins throughout their journey, from which they could take on these echoes, which would take the form of traits (such as vitality, aggression, fortitude, wisdom, etc.). Some of these would blend, such that one's final value in that trait would be an aggregate of all that they collected; others would be either dominant or regressive, the former overwriting the latter. These traits would then give rise to abilities that the player would use in combat. Which ruins the player chose to take on and which they chose to leave would determine their final "build"--as well as the specifics of the ending.

(If you want a fuller description, take a look at my Day 1 blog post, starting a little under halfway in, I believe.)

As much as I like that idea, however, it seems rather too large for so short a game-jam (for me, at least).

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement