Motion sickness

Started by
26 comments, last by bennyanggara1990 6 years, 9 months ago

So I tried this out for the first time... and it made me very sick! Took me like 3 hours to recover from it :/ Anyone else felt this from VR?

Advertisement

Don't worry, it happens to a lot of people and is a very active topic of research.

Try a game or demo where you can stay stationary in the gameworld.

Which headset and which game did you try? Did you keep the headset on for a while after you started feeling "ill"?

I've had a lot of experience in VR, my sickness chart is something like:
The Oculus Rift DK1 makes me start feeling ill (lump in your throat kind of feeling) after 5 to 20 minutes, but if I take it off as soon as I get that feeling, then there's no lasting sickness. If I keep playing after that feeling appears, then yep, the nausea / dizziness can set in and stick around for up to 12 hours in my worst experiment!!

The Oculus Rift DK2 is similar, but takes about 30 minutes to an hour to upset me.

However, there's an free-roaming VR game in my town where you can walk around a warehouse, and I played this for a full hour in a DK2 without feeling ill whatsoever... Good tracking is very important :)

I haven't gotten ill from a Vive or an Oculus Rift CV1, yet... maybe because I've gotten used to VR now, or because I'm more careful and not using it for more than an hour...

I haven't had a chance to checkout any modern VR yet. But Slayemin has noted in his journals that, in his game, a swaying arm motion he uses to drive player movement seems to help with motion sickness.

Definitely depends on which headset and game. IME anything that moves your viewpoint tends to be more sickening - Lucky's Tale is somewhat bad about this but Dirt Rally is the worst. Vive and The Lab use the teleport system and that has a very, very low sickness level.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

IME anything that moves your viewpoint tends to be more sickening - ... Dirt Rally is the worst

Wow, really? In 1st person or 3rd person mode? I've been playing heaps of Dirty Rally with an Oculus CV1 and Logitech G27, and I've found it really comfortable, playing an hour at a time!

Lucky's tale on the other hand... having the motion completely out of your control and no cockpit to ground you - that is not a good idea...

IME anything that moves your viewpoint tends to be more sickening - ... Dirt Rally is the worst

Wow, really? In 1st person or 3rd person mode? I've been playing heaps of Dirty Rally with an Oculus CV1 and Logitech G27, and I've found it really comfortable, playing an hour at a time!

Lucky's tale on the other hand... having the motion completely out of your control and no cockpit to ground you - that is not a good idea...

1st person, and it says "Intense" under the Oculus comfort rating so it's not as they didn't know. The cockpit in Dirt shakes and rotates with the suspension while your viewpoint rotation stays still relative to the world, which is ... an interesting effect. You also end up clipping through the geometry if you shift slightly the wrong direction. It is a race car, after all. But in both Lucky's Tale and Dirt Rally, everyone in the office felt that clipping geometry was the most unpleasant effect of all. One taller person decided to adjust the viewpoint so that he was on the roof of the car, instead of dealing with the confusion of the cockpit.

Before the Oculus arrived, I was very excited to play Dirt Rally in it. I've got the wheel and pedals and it seemed like the perfect addition, rather than the racing seat thing. After trying it... I haven't felt like going back in.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

For me it has taken some time to getting used to the experience. So i have played a little each day at work for a while. Starting at only five minutes the first time and climbing up slowly in time each day.

@spinningcubes | Blog: Spinningcubes.com | Gamedev notes: GameDev Pensieve | Spinningcubes on Youtube

Apart from what everyone else says, it's also very important with a high and even framerate.

Frame drops are what gets me in the VR world, goes straight to the stomach.

There really is a huge difference depending on the design of the game.

I heard an interesting talk about motion sickness in VR, apparently it is a lot more pleasant to teleport around the world then to use a controller to move yourself.

They claimed the worst culprit for motion sickness are mismatches in acceleration between what you see and what the rest of your body perceives.

I just used some crummy google cardboard thing (barely even looked like VR) and watched some hectic Star Wars video! Was very fast paced and intense. No me gusta

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement