• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retro_man_1976

Bump mapping - is it possible?

This topic is 6150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is bump mapping possible in DirectX8 with Visual Basic? I am sure it is but after several days of trying to patch together the limited info in the DX VB SDK I''m totally stuck. I''m really not looking forward to downloading the C++ SDK but it looks like this is the only option unless anyone can help. I''m looking for a good piece of example code or perhaps someone to tell me what textures I need along with a quick explanation of the settings that need making and some notes on the right way to load the files. FYI I''m currently using this custom vertex: D3DFVF_XYZ Or D3DFVF_DIFFUSE Or D3DFVF_TEX1 Or D3DFVF_NORMAL and these settings for my textures (not including anything I''ve tried with bump mapping) g_D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_MODULATE g_D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE g_D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_DIFFUSE g_D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1 g_D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_ALPHAARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE g_D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, 1 g_D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR g_D3DDevice.SetTextureStageState 0, D3DTSS_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR g_D3DDevice.SetRenderState D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA g_D3DDevice.SetRenderState D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA g_D3DDevice.SetRenderState D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, 1 any help will be extremely gratefully recieved. Tim

Advertisement
Bump mapping requires that you use two texture stages, one for the bump map and another for the diffuse or environment map. So I can tell just by looking at your FVF that you need to add another set of texture coordinates.

There is information in the DX8 SDK for Visual Basic. Type "bump mapping" in the index field.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!