In search of Teammates for Serious Startup of RTS/RPG

Started by
4 comments, last by Tah Capella 7 years, 7 months ago

Post Deleted because of team growth and game type change

Advertisement

Update= New team members have joined the project, Aviator103 a Programmer/Systems Operator and Stephen Gareth Jones a Composer.

Also an update from our current lead OST Composer https://soundcloud.com/user-33147164/sets

We are still looking for someone who knows UE4 well and can help our current programmer in its operations.

Also needed are modelers/animators for environment and characters for some basic work to start making a small environment for our beta

If interested please PM me or contact me via Email or Skype FableStudiosMobile@Gmail.com

Well,

1. There seems to be a disconnect from the images and art shown, and the engine your using. Your showing 2D art, for a 3D engine.

2. It's very unclear how the RTS and RPG aspects wirk together or even independently.

3. Your describing years of work, and from what your showing on your profile, not done by yourself (As a 2D artist)

4. Your mentioning crafting and all, but you do know, every item/person will need to be made, peasants and cross bows don't come out of nowhere...

5. This break down is nice, but do you have an actual GDD?

6. Going into any project, you need a core dedicated person to lead at very least Art, Code, and production/ business, It doesn’t look like you have that yet.

7. For a project that is clearly in preproduction, you tell us too much about features you’d like, then mechanics you already have.

8. Your bringing up steam green light, and crowd funding way to early, do you have contracts ready for rev share and NDA terms? And are you a registered company?

9. How will you present your story/ lore?

10. You did on the other hand put together a good pro looking post, but the content was a bit of a letdown, sounded more like hopes and dreams discussion, than a full mechanic break down.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Well to answer in order

1.) I am not a 3D artist so all I have to show is 2D work to start [Although now the team has a 3D artist so we are working on models now]

2.) Those are things I discuss in more detail with interested parties because the post was so long already

3.) Yes the project is large, so large in fact, we as a team has decided to make another smaller game to get our feet wet and learn the business of game developing [I will be deleting this post soon]

4.) Items come when enemies drop them. You can upgrade with crafting from there.

5.) Thank you, and yes the GDD is on my HDD [Not finished, but allot of work has been put into it already]

6.) We have 5 people on the team now and we are looking for more.

7.) The game is just an idea at this point.

8,) I was speaking in the long term, so I will take that into account next time thank you:)

9,) Story/Lore will be unveiled in the Campaign mode of the game.

10,) Thank you, and yes as of now the game is just a dream/idea until we start making headway on it.

Well, you get at least some points for considering my concerns, and not getting all defensive.

My core concern is not that you have a 3D artist on board, but unless that person is as/ more dedicated as you, then you have a huge problem.

To make it short:

How will you lead a 3D game development team, though your background is all in 2D?

Unless you intend to seriously expand your skills to 3D, I'd strongly suggest you re-evaluate your game plan.

By the way it sounds now, you don't have a core skill to the project you envision.

As said above, To get a game of any kind done, you need competent and qualified leadership in Art, Code, and administration. People, or a person who can guide and teach others in the craft, and point others in the direction they want, and if there isn't proper personnel, do the job themselves, or be able to recruit qualified people.

No offense, but from what you've described and admitted to me so far, this doesn't meat the requirements and definitions of "serious" or "Startup"

If you can crank out and organize a proper GDD, you might be able to fill the administrative branch, but as you've presented it to me, you unfortunately don't fit the Artist pillar for the project you've described.

It sounds like your laboring under the impression that a designer just comes up with the ideas, and others make it happen. That doesn't happen anywhere.

Don't feel too bad, I've found loads of people from all ages and backgrounds as or more oblivious when it comes to game dev.

Put it another way,

Why would the 3D artist follow your directions if it is clear you don't know the 1st thing about critiquing 3D art?

How will you determine proper task assignments and schedules if you have no idea how long making a given asset is spose to take?

Why would the programmers listen to making your mechanics, when it's clear you don't know the basics of why this engine is more suitable for the design and better than other engine options?

Why would the writers listen to you when it's clear your not sure what you want the story to look like?

How is the composer meant to give you a seamless audio experience when all you have is some mechanic ideas? but no themes?

I could go on....these are rhetorical questions.

This post will expire in 30 days from when you posted it, and instead of the natural instinct to delete all this critical critique to make your recruitment look better, allow this kind of feedback to help guide you in the direction you need to go in order to maybe one day have the project you dream of.

A while ago, I came across an audio composer who wanted to spin up his own project, and be project lead. I responded to him, and while I did so,I began to think, why I haven't heard of many or any projects with a composer as project lead. I realized the same thing I'm telling you now, that your background and skill set is not a core skill. I also asked my lead audio why this might be, and we had a long discussion on it, which we came up with a similar but another critical reason. And that reason was because Audio usually comes at the end of the development pipeline, and doesn't usually directly interact with art and code in critical ways. Meaning, it's not part of an audio person's job to know the art or code pipeline, thus they can't properly help problem solve those issues.

Your skill comes in preproduction, and maybe a bit on and off during production, and also at the end of production/ post production for promotional purposes under PR. It does not directly interact with 3D art or the code pipeline, thus it will naturally be harder for you to manage or oversee those departments, even indirectly.

Sorry dude.

If you really want what you want, you'll need to learn new skills, and rise to the occasion.

If you don't want to or can't do it, this isn't the thing for you.

(And if it wasn't clear, you did not answer the above questions in a way that inspires any kind of serious recruitment. You have an idea, come back when you have a GDD and the foundations of a project. (Or be honest about where you are, cutting all the fluff) only then will you have the chance of finding what your looking for.)

*or enough money to pay people not to care about your shortcomings*

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

I'm interested but it looking like you have enough people with a music background. My only other skill is writing. If you need another Audio Engineer/Writer my email is taje718@gmail.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement