Sign in to follow this  
lawnjelly

Code Blocks debugging

I've spent the last couple of days looking again at QT creator and Code blocks, and spent the last day converting a medium sized project to compile in Code Blocks with cl.exe and cdb for debugging.

I'm basically looking for an IDE that will run / debug the microsoft compiler, and is fast and stable, and has a decent hierarchical classview that is practical for circa 1000 classes or so in multiple static libs.

While the compiling side was a little confusing, it seemed pretty powerful. However I am now finding I can't seem to do even the most basic things in the debugger... :wacko:

1) How do you OutputDebugString to the debugger window in code::blocks?

2) How do you view local variables when debugging?

If these aren't working I'll get back to QT creator.

looking for an IDE that will run / debug the microsoft compiler, and is fast and stable, and has a decent hierarchical classview that is practical for circa 1000 classes or so in multiple static libs.

Visual Studio?

Ha .. well that's what I'm trying to migrate away from ..

I find latest versions of visual studio IDE to be very bloated, and slow, and they seem to hang at random, although the compiler itself is good. I'm after something more lightweight, and better written.

Oh that would be perfect, as aside from a few NCB bugs, Visual Studio 6 was excellent. :D Alas although I gather you can change the cl.exe used, the debugger doesn't seem to understand the later .exe files. Unless you can change the debugger too? Although I know you can use windbg separately, but that's not ideal...

Well after wrestling with CMake (which actually isn't that bad), I've finally got my 3d Paint app compiling and running with QT creator. :lol: My only problem at the moment is that QT creator class view (I'm a big classview user) lumps all of the classes into one massive long list, making things difficult to navigate when you have hundreds of them. :wacko: I can't work out how to split the cmake project into different folders in the class view.

If I can't work this out, an option might be to group everything up into different namespaces, as the classview does seem to put classes into their respective namespace, allowing them to be used like folders. But it's not ideal because I'd have to change loads of code to respect the namespaces. :mellow:

Another possibility if QT is open source, maybe I can do a modification to allow folders in the class view...

You might be able to tweak Visual Studio's options to make it less bloated/slow, as well. Perhaps one particular setting is causing your pain?

This is indeed true, when I first researched the slowdowns (2005 / 2008 or so?) it seemed others had had the same problem, and I seem to remember it looked like it was caused by the background parsing of the source files, and perhaps some dodgy multithreading. I seem to remember I could improve it but the problem was still there. And the performance has been bad in every version I've tried since '.NET(!)' .. 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2013.

It might partly be to do with how accurately the parser is trying to map the source files, with users complaining that it has to be 'perfect'.... Early IDEs I suspect just did a wild stab at the classes etc, which is fast, and mostly correct 90% of the time. But with the result of the compilation depending on the particular #defines when you compile a file in c++, if you try and be accurate, you could be there forever as the effects of a small change propagate through the codebase. But still, other IDEs manage it.