Full page mobile ads?

Started by
6 comments, last by Lactose 7 years, 8 months ago
Ugh. Guys, what'a with the constant annoying ads in the past few weeks?

It's gone from having a funny drawer thing at the bottom that I have to dismiss on every page to now having pop up full screen ads for flappy bird?

Surely there are better ways as this us making the site unbearable on mobile and most of the ads aren't even relevant to game development...
Advertisement

I saw a full page ad on mobile once so far. I agree that if these are intentional, it's a bad thing and precisely the kind of too-intrusive behavior for which I'd return to an ad blocker. However I haven't seen it since and I'm expecting right now that it's a bad ad in the queue. I haven't seen once since and didn't think before I hit X, so I have no screenshot yet.

If you see another one please take a screenshot.

Ugh. Guys, what'a with the constant annoying ads in the past few weeks?

While we would all love for GameDev.net to be ad-free that is simply not a realistic expectation at this time. Maybe one day.

Surely there are better ways as this us making the site unbearable on mobile and most of the ads aren't even relevant to game development...

Isn't unbearable a strong word to describe a drawer ad that takes less than 10% of screen real estate and can be quickly hidden, or to describe a full page ad that comes up every once in a while - even though every free mobile game you play will do this between every UI screen?

I personally have not seen the full page mobile ad yet, but this is the first feedback we've received on it after it being live for nearly a month. I didn't even think it was working until I saw this post. These mobile ads are an experiment and brand new for us. We're monitoring them and will make a final decision on what and how they work based on a combination of data and feedback.

Re: relevance to game development - not realistic at this time. For the most part ads are configured more toward tech, gaming, and development although ads more personalized from the Google and Amazon networks may also show - and are far from a bad thing since they're relevant to you.

Admin for GameDev.net.

even though every free mobile game you play will do this between every UI screen?

None of the few mobile games I play have these ads. Some never had them, and I'm happy with that but know it's not sustainable for a business. Some had ads and I paid for them. I'm quite happy to pay for gdnet if it means removal of ads for me. others forced ads on me even after I paid (talking dog app I installed for my daughter) and were quickly uninstalled and complaints logged.

Is gdnet+ a viable option for removing ads?

Is gdnet+ a viable option for removing ads?

GDNet+ does not remove all ads. It does make make them more select and relevant to game development/gaming in general.

The team is, according to some other posts, investigating the possibility of a ad-free tier of GDNet+, but nothing exists yet.

Hello to all my stalkers.

Would it perhaps be possible to do something like ensuring a particular signed in member would only see one full-screen ad in a given time period; maybe only once per day or two days?

Obviously depending how our adverts are set up and what networks are being used that might not be possible or might be very difficult, but I just thought I'd throw out the suggestion.

- Jason Astle-Adams

As Lactose! said, the idea of an ad-free GDNet+ is on the table, but we have a lot of decisions to consider there - which means it won't happen as quickly as many might like. But FWIW, anyone interested should voice their opinion and thoughts on the idea. It'll help that process along faster.

@jbadams - The mobile ads don't allow that level of granularity yet, but again it's more that needs to be looked at. The rest of them do though, and some ads are setup at max frequencies to each visitor.

Admin for GameDev.net.

But FWIW, anyone interested should voice their opinion and thoughts on the idea. It'll help that process along faster.

Depending on the subscription cost, I would be interested in something like this.

Obvious name suggestions being GDNet++ or GDNet#.

Hello to all my stalkers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement