Which Win 10 for Visual Studio / DirectX

Started by
4 comments, last by bioglaze 7 years, 7 months ago

I am going to buy a windows 10 system for use with visual c++ 2015 express. The software is for 32 bit os but I here it works on 64 bit os?

The directX sdk can be obtained by getting windows sdk or downloading visula studio update three. Does this sdk work on both windows 64 bit and windows 32 bit?

Which would you recommend buying the 32 bit or 64 bit Win10 with these two factors involved?

Thank you,

Josheir

Advertisement

64 bit, always.

All modern PC hardware is 64-bit hardware; 32-bit is now niche and confined to ultra-low-spec machines, netbooks and the like.

32-bit Windows is limited to 4gb of RAM. That's nowhere near enough.

64-bit Windows is perfectly capable of running 32-bit programs, so you won't be restricting yourself in any way.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I am going to buy a windows 10 system for use with visual c++ 2015 express. The software is for 32 bit os but I here it works on 64 bit os?

Yes, it does. I have successfully ran it on my laptop with Windows 10 Pro x64.

The directX sdk can be obtained by getting windows sdk or downloading visula studio update three. Does this sdk work on both windows 64 bit and windows 32 bit?

Yes, it does. I have successfully built projects which use the DirectX SDK on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows installations.

Which would you recommend buying the 32 bit or 64 bit Win10 with these two factors involved?

I second @[member='mhagain']. Off the top of my head, the only reason to stick with 32-bit Windows would be if you owned a particular hardware device for which you do not have a 64-bit device driver. But since you want to buy a new computer, that is probably not the case.

32bit windows is usefull if you are using an old machine, 6/7 years old.

All new computers (Also the lowest level), uses a 64bit processor.

So, yes, take a 64bit win10 os.

Visual studio works on both, x86 and x64.

The directx sdk compile on both.

So, go with an x64 machine :wink:

Thanks everyone,

Josh

Why Express? Community has more features like support for plugins.

Aether3D Game Engine: https://github.com/bioglaze/aether3d

Blog: http://twiren.kapsi.fi/blog.html

Control

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement