What makes a good Heads up display in a game?

Started by
7 comments, last by Gilzu 22 years, 4 months ago
I recently built this RTS game only that the screen looks "empty". ive tried to add it a HUD, smting like a small strip on the bottom which mad it look better. so i come to you asking, how do a good HUD for an RTS should look? I have Selected units/buildings to show and their actions. just want to make a GUI that will make the game look more impresive & sophisticated. ideas anyone?
[email=gil@gilzu.com]Gil Zussman[/email]Check out Goose Chase, Coming this fall!http://www.gilzu.com
Advertisement
I don''t think there''s any particular way a HUD should look. I figure the big thing is making sure it tells the player everything they need to know and is clear and easy to read. Outside of that, make it look like something fitting to the game.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.
Take a look at other RTSs for the minimal type of information they show. As well if you have some keyboard shortcuts that you use you might want to try to use icons on the screen as well(only if it smoothes out the gameplay)

ZoomBoy
Developing a iso-tile 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure. See my old Hex-Tile RPG GAME, character editor, diary, 3D Art resources at Check out my web-site
I like simple interfaces, not full of useless flashy garbage. I think its also important to make the interface match the game. If it is a medievil (sp?) game don''t make it have a brushed steel background. Just use common sense.
Transparent is good, if you can manage it. That way the player doesn''t lose screen space to the interface.

JSwing
Its actually really simple. A bar on the left side that doesnt come out to far, and a bar on the bottom or top that doesnt come down to far. Give it a nice texture, make the options interesting, and vaula - you''ve got something nice.

Artificial intelligence is the devil... resist intelligent NPC''s

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Just tell them what they need to know, and don''t obscure the view.
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity
I believe a good HUD has these things in common:

1. The most essential information is on the screen.
2. This information is easy to read, either with numerical values or symbolic icons/graphs/charts, etc.
3. The user still can view a very good portion of the main world, even while with the HUD displayed.
4. Elements of the HUD can be turned on or off, dimmed, made transparent or otherwise able to be manipulated or moved.
5. The HUD fits with the game theme. (Warcraft III and Starcraft are good examples)

Tyson
-=Applebrown
If the only reason you want a HUD display is because
"it looks empty " -then don''t use one!

*If you can display the necessary info* w/ out extra graphics on screen, then the hud is a waste.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement