Unity 5 - Beginner Programming: Worrying about lighting

Started by
2 comments, last by Kaiyum 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't know if I'm actually in the right place for this thread.

This seems to be a broad question, but as a junior game developer, how often do I have to worry about lighting compared to the gameplay and physics? It'll be a little while before I learn and experiment with building caves as part of my game environment and add some lights.

Right now, I'm looking through the most relevant components of the Unity manual to understand how the tool works.

See, I did took some physics courses before, but we didn't touch lighting very much. Even though I think lighting can be cool in a certain sense, it can be quite overwhelming to try to add some lights that makes the environment look so appropriate and not too distracting from the player. For instance, if I simply have a straight cave between two ends of a mountain and there's nothing interesting, I wouldn't want to put a bright light in the middle of it unless the cave is so long to mark it as the midway point.

Gregory Desrosiers, UWaterloo SE 2019

Advertisement

The most important thing is to understand lighting's limitations. How many lights you can have in a scene, what is expensive to have, etc. For your given platform. Don't want to put a bunch of lights down, have it look amazing in your editor, then watch the slideshow that ensues on your mobile phone.

Testing on the actual hardware is a great point.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

So you have a long cave, at every end, there is mountain? I am not getting the exact question of yours. So it is tough to answer. Can you elaborate your question(or problems) a bit further?

CG bear.

Playstation Partner

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement