• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BadEggGames

OpenGL OpenGl or Vulkan?

This topic is 784 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi

Sorry if this has been asked a million times but i couldnt find any threads.

I have written a raytracer and would now like to create a modelling program that generates scenes for my tracer.

Should i learn opengl or vulkan for this purpose?

I will be using C.

Thanks for any advice

Advertisement
OpenGL is more stable and there is more tutorials available. If you just want something up and running quickly I would go with OpenGL. If you are more interested in the learning Vulkan, I would use Vulkan.

However, if it were me, I would just use Blender to build my scenes, export to the collada format add support for importing collada files in my ray tracer. Unless you really just want the learning experience of trying to make your own, I wouldn't make my own 3d modeler. Edited by HappyCoder

If you just want something up and running quickly I would go with OpenGL.

Here quickly means before Christmas.

Edited by fleabay

I'm somewhat confused by the question. If all you are looking for is a way to make models to use in your ray-tracer, why on earth would you contemplate writing your own modelling program, when there are numerous tools that can do the job adequately, some even freely available. Even as a learning experience, I would advice against it. A few questions, how familiar are you with OpenGL/Vulcan? The graphics rendering is just a part of the equation for a modelling tool. How familiar are you designing GUIs since you would need no to interact with your modelling program...and the list goes on. I would suggest taking the advice that HappyCoder gave and run with it.

Yes, why not using an existing modeler like blender or 3D Studio Max and, if required, create your own export plugin that fully match the requirements of your raytracer ? And if not necessary, use the default obj export, which might be enough.

If blender or 3D Studio Max is too complicated, try wings3d (http://www.wings3d.com/) or k-3d (http://www.k-3d.org/) for example. They are more easy to start with.

I would suggest to learn Vulkan and there are enougth tutorials out there how to use it where you need to dig for a while to find the right GL tutorials because it has been used for over 10 years and most matches on google are answers to GL 2, 3 or 3.5 related questions. Vulkan is the technology to go for the industry now and stable enougth to work with also supported by most vendors up to a graphics card generation that almost any user should have the chance to run it.

Presonaly I prefered this tutorial because the author shows the basics beyond the lunar framework so you would reach success very early.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!