I have an Idea..........

Started by
12 comments, last by Navyman 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey guys this is my first post so it might be hard to understand me.

I really want to create an MMO, RTS, RPG game based on the anime Log Horizon.

I am fairly new to all this programming stuff but I have decided to try to use Unreal Engine 4.

The game is supposed to an open world game like skyrim

My question is are there any easier engines that i can use to make this game. Also I dont really understand the tutorials online .

Please help and thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Is this your first game project? If so you need to think about your game in very small piece and find videos that allow you to master the smaller elements first before trying to link everything in what sounds like a very complex and large scale game.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

My question is are there any easier engines that i can use to make this game. Also I dont really understand the tutorials online .

Making in through those online tutorials will be one of the easiest parts of making your idea. There are easier game engines, but easier to use generally means less capable. No game engine will make your idea simple enough that an inexperienced person can make it. You need to start much smaller to build your skills. Think pong or space invaders small.
My current game project Platform RPG
http://yourgameideaistoobig.com/advice.html

Hey guys this is my first post so it might be hard to understand me.
I really want to create an MMO, RTS, RPG game based on the anime Log Horizon.
I am fairly new to all this programming stuff but I have decided to try to use Unreal Engine 4.
The game is supposed to an open world game like skyrim
Please help and thanks in advance.

It's good to have ambitions. I have one question: Are you prepared to devote your entire life (and probably several dozen more lifetimes) to making your dream come true?

yes

Make sure it's structured nicely so you can port it to unreal engine 30 when you release it.

@[member='ThatWalrusGuy'], "yes" to what?

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

My question is are there any easier engines that i can use to make this game.

probably not, given the features you want to include in the game.

Also I dont really understand the tutorials online .

this is simply due to lack of experience. you may get down to the point where you have to google every term they use, but eventually you'll get it.

you do realize that skyrim is on the order of 500 man-YEARS of work, don't you? IE 5 years for a team of 100 skilled developers, 500 years for one skilled developer, and even longer for an unskilled developer.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

In general when it comes to programming, if you come across something that you don't understand or can't begin to figure out how to approach then that means that there's some fundamentals that you're missing. You have to reduce what you're trying to do to a more basic level and attempt to approach it from there. If it turns out that new, more basic level project is still something you can't wrap your head around, reduce it further and further until you're looking at something you're ok with. Do this again and again while also figuring out how each individual thing you've learned works together with the others to produce more complex results.

From the very beginning to learn point, your first program is likely a "Hello World" program to just get something on the screen. Then you try to figure out how to get input from the user. If you can find out how to generate a random number then at that point you can take a stab at a "Guess the Number" game. If you're creative, you can think of ways to take what you know at that point and come up with other ideas. Hopefully with a bit of experience producing simple projects you'll start to get a handle on what kind of stuff you're looking at needing to learn to get to your dream project.

Best of luck.

BTW, I'm on year 4 of working on my (current) dream project on my own as a hobby project with about 17 years working in IT and I think something like 13 years before that I started learning to program.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement