Want to Learn how to Start Coding to make video games

Started by
15 comments, last by Acnalagon Black 7 years, 7 months ago

The topic title specifically said C++. Why does everyone jump to suggesting the Unity product? This product can't even use C++ for its scripting.

I would suggest keeping with C++ which will certainly better serve you in the long run as a proper programmer.

I also suggest using the SDL library to start with 2D games until you are ready for 3D, in which case Unreal Engine 4 is a more powerful engine than Unity and 100% free and has the source available.

Also Unity (even the free version) has a one time subscription / DRM sign in system (personally... sod that!).

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.
Advertisement

Welcome to GameDev! :)

A great place to start is with the Beginner FAQ here:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/for-beginners-r1

Step 1 is learn how to program. I've been steering people towards Khan Academy since it's free and very good:

https://www.khanacademy.org/

It teaches JavaScript which is similar in syntax to C# and is a good stepping stone to get to Unity/C#.

How far along are you in your learning?

- Eck

I went to khanacademy.org. they teach JC. I want to learn C#...

I went to khanacademy.org. they teach JC.

They teach Jesus Christ?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

My bad. JScript. JS.

Isn't unity by subscription now? If it isn't I'd love to learn from you.

Hey You Out There?
Uh I'm Using The Indie Unity - I Hope It Didn't Go Subscription Or I'm Toast.

I'm By No Means The Best Out There - But If You Got The Time We Can Always Talk Code.

What Is Your Skill Level?
What Would Stump You I Mean? It's A Good Way To See Where You Are At.
Me I'm Stumped By Multiplayer Components - Networking And Uploading Games To The Internet.

sorry for my rather late response. Let's pretend I don't know how to use it AT ALL.

The topic title specifically said C++. Why does everyone jump to suggesting the Unity product? This product can't even use C++ for its scripting.

I would suggest keeping with C++ which will certainly better serve you in the long run as a proper programmer.

I also suggest using the SDL library to start with 2D games until you are ready for 3D, in which case Unreal Engine 4 is a more powerful engine than Unity and 100% free and has the source available.

Also Unity (even the free version) has a one time subscription / DRM sign in system (personally... sod that!).

Really? I see. I had unreal* for a bit but i had to make a complete program wipe on my computer. Is there any one here that could personally teach me how to use it? The you tube videos are helpful but I'd rather 1 on 1 instruction.

It teaches JavaScript which is similar in syntax to C# and is a good stepping stone to get to Unity/C#.

I went to khanacademy.org. they teach JS. I want to learn C#...

Yes, I know they teach JavaScript. I even said so in my post. :) Which programming language you learn is less important than learning to program in general. The ability to break down a problem into programming concepts is a foreign concept to most. Since Khan Academy is such a good site, and the syntax of JavaScript is similar to C#, I still recommend it.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

I went to khanacademy.org. they teach JS. I want to learn C#...

Yes, I know they teach JavaScript. I even said so in my post. :) Which programming language you learn is less important than learning to program in general. The ability to break down a problem into programming concepts is a foreign concept to most. Since Khan Academy is such a good site, and the syntax of JavaScript is similar to C#, I still recommend it.

- Eck

Ah i see. Well right now I'm actually doing some C++ coding assignments. I'm 1/4 of the way in and it hasn't posed a great challenge so far.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement