2D - Circles at high velocity become elliptical to the eye. How to workaround?

Started by
7 comments, last by Kylotan 7 years, 7 months ago

Hello!

I am currently testing some game mechanics with flying projectiles.

And the issue is that circle, at the high speed, becomes elliptical.

Its hard to reproduce this view, because it mainly happens on phone devices.

If projectile consists of 5 circle shapes, all of them seem to travel differently, not to mention the biggest one looks as if its ahead of others.

When taking screenshot, everything looks okay.

problemado.png

The ones in the middle seem to be separated, when going at high speed.

Are there any tips or techniques how to solve this?

I was thinking about leaving some trail behind, but in the final version, there will be more than just circles.

Advertisement

It could be an artifact of display latency where the response time to change a pixel is slow enough that you start to notice it. If so, you might improve the problem by reducing the contrast so that the pixels have less 'luminance distance' to travel when the sprite enters or leaves their zone.

Thank you for response!

I wont lie, i did not understand "luminance distance' to travel when the sprite enters or leaves their zone" part, but i will look into that!

By that I just mean how different 2 colours are, when measured in terms of brightness. Black and white have 100% distance because the 2 colours can't be more different. It takes a while for a pixel to change from black to full white. Whereas black and mid-grey has 50% distance, and you might expect the time taken to change from black to mid grey to be roughly half as long as to change to white.

assuming you're not doing full screen scaling that may introduce slight rounding errors (on the order of 1 pixel), odds are Kylotan is right. Display latency. a shorter "color distance" (luminescence distance) may or may not help with latency times. try it and find out. slowing down the particles is about the only other option - besides just "living with it".

while phones are semi-decent basic gaming devices - they still have limitations compared to a full-tilt PC game rig, and one must always be mindful of - and work within - those limitations.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Motion blur should fix it.

Possibly slightly compress the circles in the direction of the vector? I think that would ms with people minds

Indie game developer - Game WIP

Strafe (Working Title) - Currently in need of another developer and modeler/graphic artist (professional & amateur's artists welcome)

Insane Software Facebook

Hello,

Tried changing from pure black to one of 50 shades of gray and it worked out.

Tho my dream of black and white fast action game has been crushed.

One thing i am wondering tho.

When black object moves really fast, it leaves red trail behind. I wonder why the colour red is the slowest? (On mobile device)

Possibly the red lights use a different technology to the blue and green lights. This is well out of my area of expertise however!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement