Looking for an artist with ideas for a game.

Started by
12 comments, last by Tkodo 7 years, 7 months ago

Hello! I'm a 13 year old game developer from England and I really wanna make a game. I don't have too many ideas for one right now but I can program in HTML5. I've been programming for about 4 years and I think I'm pretty good at it. Also I'm terrible at finishing projects to keep that in mind. Oh yeah: I'm also home-schooled so I have a fair amount of free time. Here's my website: http://jaaay.net/ and here's my Twitter: https://twitter.com/jaaaaaaaaay__

Also I am looking for someone around my age. :D

Advertisement

Hello Jay - Unfortunately you really should have posted this in the Hobby Project Classifieds Subforum. Don't go and make new post there though, a moderator will most likely move it over there sometime soonish.

Some advice - you might wish to specify game genres that your coding level can handle for example 2D platformer. Simply saying that you are pretty good in your own opinion does not indicate anything of meaning, to prospective partners. You might be 13 years old, but that does not preclude you from presenting yourself in a more professional format.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice but I really do think I'm pretty rounded in the 2D game world. I don't overly care about genre and I don't know if you read my site but I've got a fairly good knowledge of programming. Also there's no fun in just sticking to what I already know.

Oh yeah and I haven't updated my site recently so I might wanna add I can also program in Java and a lil' bit of C++

You should probably provide some kind of indication what kind of projects that you've worked on in the past. It'd give people a better idea of your skill level than to list the languages and hardware you're familiar with.

If you're having trouble finding an artist, a good project to work on for you might be Blackjack or some other kind of card game (an early project of mine was Go Fish). Making with a simple paint program or finding some graphics for a deck of cards shouldn't be too difficult. Depending on your ambition you could keep it a simple 1 player game (though the AI might make it less simple) or add in some kind of online multiplayer component. Or just ensuring that you have a well polished finished game with menus, sound, player tracking, and score keeping could be a solid accomplishment to aim for.

Also, it's may be just a personal choice, and not really my business, but, given that it's personally identifiable information, I wouldn't make my full address public on a website. Maybe city, province, & country but not street & house number with postal code. Maybe at least run it by your parents, if you haven't already.

I appreciate the advice and I have actually made a few quick edits to my site so thanks for pointing that out. I would list the projects I've worked on but I feel that they don't really indicate my current skill level 'cause I've grown a fair bit in the programming world so I'm not overly proud of them.

Why an artist should choose you instead of other people? You are mostly listing your skills, but there is no way to actually understand your level in each skill. Moreover, you are not showing any project you have done and you said you have problems completing your projects. If I were someone looking for a patner for making a project that skill would actually be quite important. Even projects you are not particularly proud of can be important to find someone.

ya,

Saying you don't finish things is a terrible red flag.

At least your up front about your age and experience level, there are some that aren't accurate on them both.

I'm glad your not an Idea guy.

But if your not serious enough to finish something on your own, hooking up with others isn't going to change that.

My best advice for you is to make something that will take you 3-5 years, and then by that time, you might be taken seriously.

No older person wants to trust a 13 year old coder with code. Sorry.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

ya,

Saying you don't finish things is a terrible red flag.

At least your up front about your age and experience level, there are some that aren't accurate on them both.

I'm glad your not an Idea guy.

But if your not serious enough to finish something on your own, hooking up with others isn't going to change that.

My best advice for you is to make something that will take you 3-5 years, and then by that time, you might be taken seriously.

No older person wants to trust a 13 year old coder with code. Sorry.

Oh, wow. It's almost as if I'm not looking to work with an older person and I'm totally just not serious enough about my projects, yeah that's totally the problem. Also I'm gonna lie about my work habits to someone I'd hope to work with and I'm not saying I'm not a idea person I'm saying I'd like to program some other persons idea. Also don't assume my skill level when I've been working with games longer than you.

I think it would be good if you add some game demos in your website.

Oh, wow. It's almost as if I'm not looking to work with an older person and I'm totally just not serious enough about my projects, yeah that's totally the problem. Also I'm gonna lie about my work habits to someone I'd hope to work with and I'm not saying I'm not a idea person I'm saying I'd like to program some other persons idea. Also don't assume my skill level when I've been working with games longer than you.

Well, that escaladed quicky ^^

What GeneralJList said was totally justified. Not finishing a project is a very common flaw and should be worked on as soon as possible. Mostly by working on small title (1 or 2 weeks of dev) and making sure to finish those project.

An Idea Guy is a common type of person with no skills but the (auto-proclamed) best idea of the world. So not a very useful person ^^' (so when he said you were'nt an Idea Guy, that was a compliment.)

No older person wants to trust a 13 year old coder with code.

Also don't assume my skill level when I've been working with games longer than you.

Also don't assume his skill level when you have absolutely no idea how long he is working on games. That is just pueril :)

That said, on to the real critic/advice.

1. As the people above mentioned it, you need game demo on your website. You could said that you are the best programer in the wolrd, witout concrete resuls to prove your worth, well, your claim is worthless.

2. Your website is rather nice, simple, clear. Keep it that way.

3. Be nice. It sound a bit generic as an adivce. But people on this site are trying to help you the best they can, and won't bash you without reason. No need to be aggresive.

Good luck on your search for an artist!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement