2D Card Game

Started by
4 comments, last by Navyman 7 years, 7 months ago

Hello,

I am looking to make a 2D turn-based card game similar to that of the Pokemon card game. I've tried using Unity but I'm having difficulty figuring out where to start. Does anyone have any useful links and/or are willing to help me (preferably through IM if so).

I know C++ and JavaScript.

Many thanks,

Advertisement

There are many game engines out there especially built for card games. Have you done any web searching for those, or tried any already?

Hearthstone is built in Unity. Think this is a fair example of a card game.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

I've tried using Unity but I'm having difficulty figuring out where to start.
:L

I work with Unity mostly ever since Flash died. Its a simple engine build around the concept of 'Gameobjects' and 'Components'.
The Engine has no constructor so to start a script you open a scene and add a MonoBehaviour script to an gameobject. From there you build your Scene.
This means you might want one Component which handles all the spawning of enemies for game management and for mechanic wise you would want 1 component for the movement. A component for attacking logic and maybe a component which combines all the logic.

Card games are a difficult thing because there is not really a player to build around as far as I can tell. You first have to create a table and card place mechanics and build from there on your rules etc.

First try to play around in it. Maybe watch some simple tutorials just to get the hang of how the engine is supposed to be used.

Breaking you ideal game into much smaller components help you to find the tutorials and videos to get you moving int he correct direction.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement