Soccer simulator

Started by
0 comments, last by ApochPiQ 7 years, 7 months ago

Hi everyone,

I'm making a soccer match simulator where each player has a unique attribute (or skill) which is a value between 1 and 20. A player can play as a goalkeeper, a defender, a midlfielder or a forward. In my program, at some moment, there's a battle between a player from the attacking team and the goalkeeper from the defending team. The result of this battle determines if a goal is scored or not. But, first of all, I need to compute which player from the attacking team is going to shot on goal. So, I would like to have some advise about the way to select the player who's going to take the shot. I've already thought about a weighted random generator where each player gets a weight depending on its position on the field but there're maybe other solutions.

Advertisement
You should think up some rules for who takes the shot, then try them out and refine them based on whether or not the game feels good.

If weighted random feels fun and plays well, then stick with that. Only bother with more complicated solutions if you really need them.

Some basic play-testing should reveal weaknesses in whatever approach you have, and from there you can work to address those issues specifically. Specificity is good because it's very hard to design a solution to a vague problem.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement