• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mantis5033

I need expert computer advice...

This topic is 6204 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for the best most well made machines for developers. I was looking at a workstation by Polywell tp://www.polywell.com/onlinestore/order-or840z.html The machine could be in a 3423CP 3U Rackmount Enclosure tower/chasis with a Poly 930X8 Dual Xeon ATX MB w/2xUlt motherboard, P4 Xeon 2.0GHz 256KB Cache 400FSB processor, 3 512MB RIMM RDRAM 800Mhz ECC RAM, 460W Power Supply for Dual Xeon 930, Segate 73GB Ultra160 10000 Cheetah, LS120MB 3.5" Floppy Drive, Adaptec 2100S 2-Ch. Ultra-160 64bit SCSI disk controller, Toshiba 16X DVD ROM EIDI Drive, Logitech Itouch Wirelss Keyboard and mouse, SoundBlaster LiveAudigy Platinum sound card, Cambridge Desktop Theater 5.1, 3DLabs WildCat II 5110 OpenGL AGP grahpics card, 3Com 3C905CXTM Ethernet 10/100 NIC with a Windows 2000 operating system for $9000.00 The reason I am interested in such a computer is because I want to start developing a highly advanced 3-D PC game like Red Faction. Is this the best machine available for maximum performance and stability in all applications? Is the Xeon processor the best or is it inferior (The Athlon XP is very good but it would not work with a WildCat II 5110)? I need to know what the best but logically affordably machine is and cannot afford to waste more time and money on a machine that will break down. Please advise.

Advertisement
Drool. Drool. Ahem.

I think that's overkill.

Firstly, do you really have $9000 to burn ? More expensive does not mean better, nor more reliable.

Secondly, if your game makes use of all the power of that... thing, do you really expect it will run on 'mainstream' machines ?

Come back on Earth. You *DON'T NEED* that.
Bleeding edge, shmleeding edge.

Edit:
For the record, I have a dual P3-733, 1GB SDRAM PC133, a GeForce2 MX, SBLive, and that's more than enough for my needs.

Edited by - Fruny on November 22, 2001 9:54:34 PM

I have a P3-500 with a TNT2 card and 128Mb of ram and that is ample for programming and running D3D games. If you are really able to program games anywhere NEAR the lines of red faction, you are working for a multi-million (possibly billion) dollar major software label who STILL wont even consider buying you a workstation like that (programmers dont need a cambridge speaker system, wireless keyboards, 73GB HD, etc.)

I have a AMD166Mhz - a couple of years old now... But the only problem I have is that I can''t play any games on it - it works great for developing though, developing is mainly textediting and compilation/linking...

I must admit it gets a little anoying when I try to run many apps simultaneously though.

(I will NOT recommend U to buy a p166 - get a reasonably good and cheap Computer and upgrade more often)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!