Sign in to follow this  

How can I safely accept volunteer work?

This topic is 466 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

To understand where I'm coming from, let me explain my situation.

I have a project in the early works. One of my main features is allowing a player to create his own game world to play in, all the way to atmosphere control (lighting, fog, ambient noise, etc). Iwant to give preset values for these that create "common" atmospheres. For example, "Clear morning," or "evening mist" etc.

Being color blind, I don't feel I'm the right person to say "yep, those are the appropriate mixtures of color for that!" God forbid my gray fog actually be pink:-)

So,knowing that, I have a few people I've shared my project with that are excited for it, and would be willing to test out the settings to find good preset values... how could I legally accept this sort of volunteer help without being bit in the rear should I be fortunate enough to later profit from the game?

I have no problem offering compensation to those who donate substantial help, but this is comparatively minor, and I feel giving them a free copy of the completed product would be sufficient.

Is there any standard way to formalize an agreement that either:
1) this work is strictly voluntary and I'm not obligated to pay, or
2) the fact I'm going to give you a free copy of the game on completion IS fulfilling that obligation?

You need to talk with a lawyer who can provide you with a document that enforces that.

There are various types of documents that apply.  A collaboration agreement is generally used when people are peers working together. A rights assignment or employment agreement or independent contractor agreement are generally used when the rights are consolidated to a single source (this is typical in the professional world).  Incorporating into an LLC or S-Corp requires articles of incorporation and registration with government agencies, that's typical if you are going to run your business in a businesslike manner.

The documents (collaboration agreement, rights assignment, IC agreement, etc) will specify who owns what exactly, and what payment will be made if any.

Without any of those properly written legally binding documents each person will individually own their own contribution. It gets into some nasty situations with who owns specific rights to what aspects of the product.

You could also do an independent contractor/consultant agreement. You can probably find free forms through a quick google search. Basically they are consulting you on your work and they are compensated with a copy of the game.  Since it would qualify as a "work-for-hire" anything they contribute is owned by you.

IMPORTANT: There are many useful and quality free legal resources online. When using a free legal resource please remember to balance risk with cost.  A free document will save you money but is more likely to have a defect that will cause it to fail. If you have enough invested it is always worth it to pay for the protection provided by professional advice from a bar admitted attorney.

Basically they are consulting you on your work and they are compensated with a copy of the game.

The problem with that is you can fall foul of various minimum wage laws if the time your consultant spends consulting is longer than could adequately be paid for by a copy of the game. So unlike a typical contractor agreement you couldn't specify a minimum amount of hours worked or deliverables to produce.

Basically they are consulting you on your work and they are compensated with a copy of the game.

The problem with that is you can fall foul of various minimum wage laws if the time your consultant spends consulting is longer than could adequately be paid for by a copy of the game. So unlike a typical contractor agreement you couldn't specify a minimum amount of hours worked or deliverable to produce.

Minimum wage laws do not apply to independent contractors.  The only thing you have to do is make sure you don't cross the line between contractors and employee.

And that in itself is a minefield that varies from one jurisdiction to the next. Unless you're working exclusively with people in your own country (where a standard form would suffice) I'd say it's better to just steer clear of anything that implies agreed compensation in return for agreed work, if what you really want is volunteers.

And that in itself is a minefield that varies from one jurisdiction to the next. Unless you're working exclusively with people in your own country (where a standard form would suffice) I'd say it's better to just steer clear of anything that implies agreed compensation in return for agreed work, if what you really want is volunteers.

At least in the U.S. its really not that complicated:

"What matters is that the employer has the legal right to control the details of how the services are performed."  

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/independent-contractor-defined

So basically as long as OP doesn't overly control (which wouldn't make sense since the OP just wants them to come in and give some opinions) he is fine.  Also since I doubt OP will be a slave driver with his volunteers, the risk of any claims is going to be nothing and regardless of the employee/contractor choice the IP is his when all is said and done.

This topic is 466 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By mub
      I've read that it's a bad idea to use brand names in a game.
      My game character says "I like the movie Idiocrazy."
      Is this already illegal? or sue-able?

• By steelstrung
      Hello all,
      I have been working on a game and brought a few others in on it to develop it and make content. The team is currently unpaid (will be compensated after release/funding)
      In this setting, what do you think are some good practices to follow to make the project a success and a good development environment?
      The project is still early in development and I would consider this to be my first leading role in something like this
      Managing vs Leading:
      As I am pretty directly involved in the development of things, from story to design to actual coding, I have tried to steer clear of 'managing', or over-managing as its a small team and nobody is seeing the $$$ to put up with much BS.
      I think I have mostly done this with some success, but it has made it difficult for me at times. I have tried taking less of the front seat and letting everyone pedal as well, but I found that people didn't really have much drive to contribute anything unless it was adding to something that I created or was already there.
      So far I have created a wiki, a forum, a Google drive, and set up some other tools for the team, as well as a Facebook page and have managed the security of our information (like making everything non-public)
      Legal stuff - NDA/other agreements:
      When is the best time to do the formalities and write up things like NDA's and other agreements to protect the project? Gauging my team as it is, I think they would not be keen on signing things like this - it seems to be a big turn-off when I start talking about rules and organization.  I can understand the reticence as it is unpaid, but it also seems very risky in thinking of the future. I have already had a developer leave the project, and I have yet to see if problems are going to arise from this. 
      I know these types of things are very standard for larger projects with funding, but it seems difficult to implement in this setting. I have read many stories of failed games due to petty internal conflicts, developers retracting their contributions, misappropriated funding, and dissatisfied developers that probably could have been prevented if everyone had some type of written, formal agreement adhering to some rules of conduct.
      I dont see agreements and NDA's as an attempt to disadvantage people or deprive them of freedom, but as something to protect the project as a whole - which is bigger than any one person and affects everyone.
      Is it a good idea to put write something up and get some signatures? If so, when is a good time and what would be the best approach (as far as selling it to the team)? Should any agreement be very light and plain, or well written and very detailed?
    • By steelstrung
      Hello all, 
      I recently had started making a game and invited some others to join the team as well to create content and write some of the story. The group is small, and there is no funding currently.
      The problem I am having is that I have a vision in mind for the game, but have some difficulty getting others to follow it - it follows certain themes and there are certain things about the world that cannot be changed without it being out of place or disrupting the 'feel' of the game. 
      I have so far been running things fairly casually as it is still a small unpaid team, but there are some things I feel that can't be compromised on. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to stifle my developers' creativity and I welcome new ideas/changes (we have had several good brainstorms in the past) but I think there needs to be a line somewhere so the game stays close to this vision.
      In this example, the game is going to be dark fantasy, and have a rather serious environment,  but I have a developer who wanted to add silly easter eggs in as 'comic relief'. When I asked for an example or something similar, he talked about how Saint's Row has some sort of dildo bat that you can use as a weapon in-game. This is very much something I did not want in the game and I had to draw a very firm line there, telling him we are not going to have anything like that (for the reasons above). He said something along the lines of "Well, I am going to put whatever I want in my level". Following that, I had a conversation with him where I told him that while he is in charge of that level, if it is out of place from the theme/doesnt fit in to the 'feel' of the game, that I won't allow it in the game.
      The developer then told me I am taking things too seriously, I am thinking too far ahead, and it is not fun to develop the game anymore - he decided to leave the project.  I definitely do like to have fun working on this game, and value the input of all my team, but I think there are times when I need to 'get serious'
      I am very compromising with a lot of the story and design aspects, as the team is small and unpaid, but do not want to see this game run wild and turned into a joke. I am close to the design and story myself, and consider myself to fulfill the roles of a creative director and project manager - along with a bit of everything else. In the past, when the game was basically a blank slate, I tried to gather people around to come up with new ideas, but there was little contribution and I am seeing much more involvement after I went ahead and created a foundation of the story myself. I do my best to avoid coming off as 'managing' but it has been unavoidable in cases like this.

If you have read thus far, thanks for staying with me!
      My question for you all - What is your opinion on this, what are some suggestions you have to avoid this in the future? I have some people with great Ideas and conflict is inevitable.
      Do I need to be more picky with/vet developers better? Is there something dysfunctional in how I am approaching the matter? How do you work with your content authors/designers/developers to resolve creative conflict, and where do you draw the line?

Note: Usually I let a lot of stuff go that doesn't completely 'fit the vision', and adapt to it, in order to keep morale up and not stifle others' creativity, but knowing the guy personally, I suspect he had wanted to have a lot more control over the project and I had a feeling that something like this would develop down the road which is why I wanted to nip the problem early on.
    • By nr_clark
      Hi all,
      I'm a developer part of a small team designing a sandbox MMO. It's just a collaborative team (all in the US), meaning that all members just contribute their free time to advance the project. 
      Well, a programmer booted from another (very similar) MMO sandbox project wanted to help out with our own, even after knowing our project was collaborative (I'll call him Bob). According to our current programmer (I'll call him John), Bob has very advanced skills in multiple syntax, and Bob's supposedly-self-made script packages & suggested tweaks to John's existing code have really helped John advance the sandbox mechanics.
      From what the team understands, Bob was rumored to steal code from the other project, after calling the project's other programmer out for being unskilled, and in turn that programmer (who was favorited by the project manager) turned the team against him in the most political fashion. 
      Even though the team was nervous on recruiting Bob, Bob was very pushy about obtaining a programmer role. For now, we've added Bob to the Unity collab to access the project. The project has a git repository setup which keeps all added code intact and secure. 
      I'm just a 3D modeler/sound designer, so while I cannot elaborate on the project's coding specifics, I do know potential implications something like this could cause. Bob's existing script packages could be copyrighted, from what I understand. Also, I felt suspicious when Bob wanted to jump into our project so quickly. If it makes any difference in the legal sense, Bob lives in the UK. What would you recommend would be the best approach to this situation?
      TIA.
    • By templar_vii
      A big game project contains a lot of runtime data like
      List of all world objects List of all players Game states Viewport ... I have to pass a lot of these data to most of my classes. So I have a huge list of parameters in every constructor.
      What's the best practice to avoid this mass of parameters? Is it recommended to summarize all data to one class (something like "GameData") and pass this container to all methods and classes? Is there a common name for this container in game development? I'm a bit worried, because if I pass this class to all classes and methods, I get something like a global variable.
      Thanks a lot for your advice!
  • Popular Now