Sign in to follow this  
Indie.Dev

How can I safely accept volunteer work?

To understand where I'm coming from, let me explain my situation.

I have a project in the early works. One of my main features is allowing a player to create his own game world to play in, all the way to atmosphere control (lighting, fog, ambient noise, etc). Iwant to give preset values for these that create "common" atmospheres. For example, "Clear morning," or "evening mist" etc.

Being color blind, I don't feel I'm the right person to say "yep, those are the appropriate mixtures of color for that!" God forbid my gray fog actually be pink:-)

So,knowing that, I have a few people I've shared my project with that are excited for it, and would be willing to test out the settings to find good preset values... how could I legally accept this sort of volunteer help without being bit in the rear should I be fortunate enough to later profit from the game?

I have no problem offering compensation to those who donate substantial help, but this is comparatively minor, and I feel giving them a free copy of the completed product would be sufficient.

Is there any standard way to formalize an agreement that either:
1) this work is strictly voluntary and I'm not obligated to pay, or
2) the fact I'm going to give you a free copy of the game on completion IS fulfilling that obligation?

You need to talk with a lawyer who can provide you with a document that enforces that.

There are various types of documents that apply.  A collaboration agreement is generally used when people are peers working together. A rights assignment or employment agreement or independent contractor agreement are generally used when the rights are consolidated to a single source (this is typical in the professional world).  Incorporating into an LLC or S-Corp requires articles of incorporation and registration with government agencies, that's typical if you are going to run your business in a businesslike manner.

The documents (collaboration agreement, rights assignment, IC agreement, etc) will specify who owns what exactly, and what payment will be made if any.

Without any of those properly written legally binding documents each person will individually own their own contribution. It gets into some nasty situations with who owns specific rights to what aspects of the product.

You could also do an independent contractor/consultant agreement. You can probably find free forms through a quick google search. Basically they are consulting you on your work and they are compensated with a copy of the game.  Since it would qualify as a "work-for-hire" anything they contribute is owned by you.

IMPORTANT: There are many useful and quality free legal resources online. When using a free legal resource please remember to balance risk with cost.  A free document will save you money but is more likely to have a defect that will cause it to fail. If you have enough invested it is always worth it to pay for the protection provided by professional advice from a bar admitted attorney.

Basically they are consulting you on your work and they are compensated with a copy of the game.

The problem with that is you can fall foul of various minimum wage laws if the time your consultant spends consulting is longer than could adequately be paid for by a copy of the game. So unlike a typical contractor agreement you couldn't specify a minimum amount of hours worked or deliverables to produce.

Basically they are consulting you on your work and they are compensated with a copy of the game.

The problem with that is you can fall foul of various minimum wage laws if the time your consultant spends consulting is longer than could adequately be paid for by a copy of the game. So unlike a typical contractor agreement you couldn't specify a minimum amount of hours worked or deliverable to produce.

Minimum wage laws do not apply to independent contractors.  The only thing you have to do is make sure you don't cross the line between contractors and employee.

And that in itself is a minefield that varies from one jurisdiction to the next. Unless you're working exclusively with people in your own country (where a standard form would suffice) I'd say it's better to just steer clear of anything that implies agreed compensation in return for agreed work, if what you really want is volunteers.

And that in itself is a minefield that varies from one jurisdiction to the next. Unless you're working exclusively with people in your own country (where a standard form would suffice) I'd say it's better to just steer clear of anything that implies agreed compensation in return for agreed work, if what you really want is volunteers.

At least in the U.S. its really not that complicated:

"What matters is that the employer has the legal right to control the details of how the services are performed."  

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/independent-contractor-defined

So basically as long as OP doesn't overly control (which wouldn't make sense since the OP just wants them to come in and give some opinions) he is fine.  Also since I doubt OP will be a slave driver with his volunteers, the risk of any claims is going to be nothing and regardless of the employee/contractor choice the IP is his when all is said and done.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By hpdvs2
      I have several Unity Assets I'm planning to publish through my current employer to the Unity Asset Store.  But I'm worried about legal protection.  I'm not really sure how to protect myself or my company from potential law suits.  Not that I'm expecting them.  
      It seems like I need to hire a lawyer to draft a EULA, but I'm wondering if there is some standard EULA that basically says use at your own risk.  Or if there is an article that talks clearly to this topic.
       - Thanks.
      The products will be 100% self developed code, and self developed models, no fan art  With Source Code included
    • By Tootooni
      Good day dear people

I'm completely new here and very nervous to be honest. I started with 3D-Design at my traineeship and can slowly start with my ideas for a survival/rpg game in 3d But since I only used RPG Makers until now I wonder how is the best way to start with a game, and what I would need for that.

Have a wonderful day! ^.^)/)

Tootooni
    • By INTwindwolf
      COMPANY AND THE PROJECT

We are an indie game studio consisted of professional and friendly people. Additionally, we are a team of skilled artists and dedicated indie enthusiasts. Our current project is INT, developed on Unity Engine 5 for platforms Windows, Linux, and Mac.

INT is a 3D Sci-fi RPG with a strong emphasis on story, role playing, and innovative RPG features such as randomized companions. The focus is on the journey through a war-torn world with fast-paced combat against hordes of enemies. The player must accomplish quests like a traditional RPG, complete objectives, and meet lively crew members who will aid in the player's survival. Throughout the game you can side and complete missions through criminal cartels, and the two major combatants, the UCE and ACP, of the Interstellar Civil War.
      Please note that all of our current positions are remote work. You will not be required to travel.
      For more information about us, follow the links listed below.
      INT Official website
      Steam Greenlight
      IndieDB page
      Also follow social media platforms for the latest news regarding our projects.
      Facebook
      Twitter
      TALENT NEEDED
      We are looking for a serious and dedicated Community Manager, who will be tasked with providing regular community updates, and grow our fan base in preparation for our funding campaign.
      Duties and Responsibilities:
      Promote the INT Project through multiple Social Media outlets (E.G. Reddit, twitter, Facebook). Coordinate and work with our web admin to provide content directly to the website. Create regular updates with team highlights. This update will be shared to the broader community on IndieDB, Steam, and official INT website. Attend developer meetings and interact with the team and Project Lead to obtain highlights and material that can be used in updates. Map and manage social media analytics and report updates at team meetings. Manage and potentially host monthly INT Project podcast known as ‘RogueSpace’ and manage the INT Project’s twitch account. REQUIREMENTS
      Essential
      Advanced fluency in written English. Able to structure and create informative and visually attractive articles. Excellent self-management skills. Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written. Preferred
      Other Indie Game Developer experience. Be an avid gamer. Have played a broad collection of titles; in sync with the latest news in gaming. REVENUE-SHARE
      This is a great opportunity to get into the game development industry. Being an Indie team we do not have the creative restrictions often imposed by publishers or other third parties. We are extremely conscientious of our work and continuously uphold a high level of quality throughout our project.
      We are unable to offer wages or per-item payments at this time. However revenue-sharing from crowd-funding is offered to team members who contribute 15-20 hours per week to company projects, as well as maintain constant communication and adhere to deadlines. Currently the crowd-funding campaign is scheduled for the year 2018. Your understanding is dearly appreciated.
      TO APPLY
      Please send your Cover Letter, CV, Portfolio (if applicable), and other relevant documents/information to this email: JohnHR@int-game.net
      Thank you for your time! We look forward to hearing from you!
      John Shen
      HR Lead
      Starboard Games LLC
    • By steelstrung
      Hi all,
      I had been working on a game by myself over the last few months and decided things may go a bit faster, and I could incorporate more fresh/refined ideas into the game, if I brought a few others on board that I knew from work.
      Currently, I don't have any type of funding for the project (aside from maybe buying a couple licenses here or there), and have been focusing most on some of the work that can be done without a big investment - mostly story content, or doing some audio/graphics production pieces on the side. 
      To facilitate the story development, and keep things organized, I created a wiki where anyone I give access can add ideas and modify articles (such as locations, NPC's, etc)

I have been trying to meet every couple of weeks with everyone over Discord (we had agreed Wednesday night would work for us all) and initially got a lot of energy and productive discussion from the first meeting, but afterwards I haven't been able to get anyone together for a second meet. I understand that they are not obligated to meet every couple of weeks or even contribute, especially as I am not paying an hourly rate/salary at this point (we all agreed we would wait to talk about that until the project was more developed and we received funding), but I want to try to re-capture some of that energy and get people involved again. Myself, I contribute at least one or two articles to the wiki every week.
      I had also been trying to keep things semi-formal in meetings (I take notes and facilitate casually), but had received some feedback from one of my team members that this all 'seemed too much like a job', which I interpreted as I am asking for too much from them or being too formal (as if it was a job)
      I want to keep some form of organization for consistency's sake (such as a semi-regular discussion) so everyone is on the same page, and is aware of the way the story is evolving (I have provided a framework people are comfortable with, and am very open to new ideas - being very transparent and forward about this).
      Does anyone have ideas on how to keep people engaged and interested in the project, enough so to meet virtually every 2-3 weeks, with limited resources?
      Here are some things I have been trying so far, with little success:
      Adding content regularly, providing updates on our facebook/discord channels monthly (mixed results, fairly low view count) Following up with a group chat every 2 weeks to make sure everyone is still available for that day (mixed results, some members do not respond/open the chat) Continuing to add content on the wiki regularly (nobody logs in to see the new content) Physically meeting whenever possible (hard to get more than 1 person together, they usually only want to hang out - don't want to talk about new ideas) Pruned members who had no contributions and have not even been in contact for over a month Refrain from calling the meetings meetings (I prefer 'calibrations', as I am mostly talking about new/updated content and talking about it with people) I believe I do not have an issue with general interest in the project - some of the members had a lot to contribute and seemed legitimately interested in the first meeting - and everyone has expressed they are interested in contributing to the story
    • By Rancorb
      I have some graphics from a graphic designer of full screen gameplay mock-ups. Unfortunately he is no longer available to work on the project but I still like his concept. Would there be any problem with myself or another graphic designer using his design mock-ups as the basis to create the actual graphics for a game? Essentially it would mean copying / recreating the individual graphical elements to use in game.
      My instinct is that it should be fine but I don't want to step on any legal toes.
  • Popular Now