• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sabit Merah

2D Game Making Softwares For Beginners?

This topic is 684 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have done absolutely no programming in my life and my closest involvement in game-making is drawing and animating sprites for another programmer to use in his games.

If I have absolutely no experience in programming, is there any game-making software I can use to help create my own 2D side-scrolling game that's beginner-friendly?

I'm sorry if a thread like this already exists but I tried searching for "side scrolling" and didn't get any results.

Advertisement

I would back the suggestion for gamemaker.  It starts easy, but you can move beyond the Drag&Drop into scripting, which then let's you do about anything.  It also ends up quite powerful if you want "hardcore" games later too.  I mean to say that it scales pretty well, making it easy to make simple games, but able to make more complicated (maybe even AAA) games if you are so inclined.

If I can just hop in and suggest unity, it seems to also support 2D games really well and also supports alot more platforms. Depending on the one you want though, still unity looks really populer if you are leaning to actually learn the language, but if you just want to make simple drag and drop games which aren't bad but learning gives you nore potential, then gamemaker is for you or gamesalad, choose your pick

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!