• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
joel_linder

Unity Game engine advice?

This topic is 675 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I`m planning on developing a small single player fps game in my spare time and i`m having trouble finding an engine that fits my needs.

I`m looking for an engine with great level designing tools(kinda like source`s hammer) and that doesn't use lua for programming.

I don`t really care about the graphic capabilities as long it doesn`t look like wolfenstein 3d.

Iv`e used unity and unreal before but unity pro is expensive and unreal feels to much for my little project.

Does anyone have any advice  :huh: ?

Advertisement

Why not Source Engine if you like their tools? There's also any of the old Quake engines if you don't care about latest tech - even GoldSrc :)

UE4 and Unity are the most common suggestions.

You could check this out to get a more hammer-like environment in Unity: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/681626-released-realtime-csg-boolean-based-level-editor-for-unity/

Thanks for the quick response and advice. The unity add-on is precisely what i`m looking for. I`ve modded goldsrc but would i be able to publish it?

Why are you worried about Unity Pro's price. From what I hear you'll be fine with the free version. Since Unity 5, a lot of the old pro features became part of the free engine. Now pro is more for support, source code, statistics and publishing rights... things only an actual studio would "need". If you ever get to the point where you do want to release your game, you could always look into the feasibility of pro then.

The level editor is a little lacking, so an add on my help with that, as suggested above. You could use a 3D tool like Blender (free) or Maya/3D Studio Max (all Autodesk software is free to students, unemployed, veterans and more I believe) for level design. I have much less experience with the 3D editors then I do with Unity, and it would mean learning 2 pieces of software, but I know a lot of people like to build levels in them. Definitely something to ask a more art focused person about if you are interested... Unless you want some typical A grade programmer art, then I can help ;).

There's my 2 cents anyway. Unity is a fantastic way to get from concept to prototype as soon as possible. There plenty of great resources, assets etc... The only down side is that it can be a little confusing when so much of the documentation was intended for Unity 4 (I'm guessing old tutorials saying "you need pro to do this" are the reason you believe you may need pro). Having said that, the changes are minimal, and all of Unity's official tutorials meant for version 4 come with a pdf telling you how to complete it in Unity 5.

If you want 3d games, Unity is generally the best choice hands down.  There are times where Unity doesn't fit the project, specialty things like extreme RTS games, or where you need the graphics of Unreal(and even that can be done in Unity if you have the art time).  Unity simply does about everything you need except code the game for you.

Why are you worried about Unity Pro's price. From what I hear you'll be fine with the free version. Since Unity 5, a lot of the old pro features became part of the free engine. Now pro is more for support, source code, statistics and publishing rights... things only an actual studio would "need". If you ever get to the point where you do want to release your game, you could always look into the feasibility of pro then.

The level editor is a little lacking, so an add on my help with that, as suggested above. You could use a 3D tool like Blender (free) or Maya/3D Studio Max (all Autodesk software is free to students, unemployed, veterans and more I believe) for level design. I have much less experience with the 3D editors then I do with Unity, and it would mean learning 2 pieces of software, but I know a lot of people like to build levels in them. Definitely something to ask a more art focused person about if you are interested... Unless you want some typical A grade programmer art, then I can help ;).

There's my 2 cents anyway. Unity is a fantastic way to get from concept to prototype as soon as possible. There plenty of great resources, assets etc... The only down side is that it can be a little confusing when so much of the documentation was intended for Unity 4 (I'm guessing old tutorials saying "you need pro to do this" are the reason you believe you may need pro). Having said that, the changes are minimal, and all of Unity's official tutorials meant for version 4 come with a pdf telling you how to complete it in Unity 5.

If you want 3d games, Unity is generally the best choice hands down. There are times where Unity doesn't fit the project, specialty things like extreme RTS games, or where you need the graphics of Unreal(and even that can be done in Unity if you have the art time). Unity simply does about everything you need except code the game for you.

Thank you both for your feedback! Unity seems like a good way to go.

Dropping in here a bit late, but other than saying what you've tried in the past you didn't mention too many specifics.  What's your preferred language and skill/experience level?  And your goal or genre you're targeting?  

That's all good to know when asking for recommendations of this nature.  There's nothing wrong with Unity, but like most things, really the answer here is... "it depends".  If you use Java professionally for example, my signature has two great choices--if you have a moderate to high experience level (or are willing to put out significant effort to gain that experience before you try tackling a project of this nature).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!